Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In
in Search

ISC Editor's Weekly Blog

The Shadow Knows

This week on Integral Spiritual Center....

Spirit in First Person - Vidyuddeva

IS Discussion Series: Stages - Tim Werts/Ken Wilber

Dear Friends,

We've had two great IS calls already this year - "Stages and Stages" and "Boomeritis Buddhism" - and we're gearing up for our third!  Please send your questions for Ken on Chapter 6, "Shadow/The Disowned Self" to ISQuestion@IntegralSpiritualCenter.org for your chance to participate on the next call.

At ISC2, we asked a number of our teachers to lead meditations on Spirit in 1st-, 2nd- and 3rd-person.  This week, enjoy Vidyudevva's exquisite 1st-person meditation.  Also, we continue with audio from October's "Stages" call, with Tim Werts asking about a 4-quadrant approach to children's stage development.  Thanks for being with us!

ISC Team

Published Sunday, February 04, 2007 1:24 AM by rollie

Comments

bigdaddy said:

Hello Rollie: I submitted a possible question for the shadow phone call via e-mail to you, because it seemed to bounce back via that e-mail address (unless it is case-sensitive?).  The chapter on shadow is an appropriate topic for a psychologist-in-training, in particular (which I am).

But I'm here this morning mostly expressing one of my signature strengths:  "citizenship, teamwork, and loyalty" (I recommend the positive psychology website  http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/default.aspx for those wanting to learn more about their signature strengths.

My shadow need, or at least inner critic, would suggest I'm here because I need approval or recognition.

Well, maybe both :) ?

Regards,
Durwin

February 4, 2007 9:09 AM

adastra said:

eek...same thing happened to me.  OK, as a failsafe I'll PM them to you in zaadz and also post them here:

1.Although it may be a good introductory process to work with the shadow, do you think that the 3-2-1 process might be too superficial – specifically too cognitive or intellectually focused – to do really deep shadow work?  In working with linguistic manipulations – e.g. saying or writing in words the different perpectives – we may not get to the problem in a very deep way; we may even think we have dealt with the shadow because we've talked about or around it, but the shadow may remain in place or assume different form.

2.In a Question and Answer series with integral therapist Robert Augustus Masters I hosted on Integral Naked a while back, Robert answered a question about the 3-2-1 shadow practice in intimate relationships.  In the course of his answer he made the following interesting comment:

"Every practice has its shadowside; all you need do is open yourself to seeing it (without, however, using such insight to negate or prematurely discard the practice). And the shadow of 3-2-1 shadow-work? It might include: (1) the tendency to assume that a fuller integration has occurred than actually has; (2) the tendency to settle for less emotional opening, expression, and depth than is really needed; (3) the tendency not to put enough attention into seeing, feeling, and working with the origins and evolution of particular shadow elements; and (4) the tendency to underestimate the need for more in-depth shadow-work, such as is possible through integral psychotherapy."

Could you comment on this?

[the full commentary by RAM is here: http://raminterviews.blogspot.com/2007/01/robert-augustus-masters-q-part-twenty_17.html
]

3.How do shadow processes manifest in social holons?   How would we recognize and deal with them?  What shadow manifestations may be occuring in the integral movment in general, or – if you'd like to address this – in I-I or the I-I forums?  Is there any thought of developing methods (or adopting methods from other systems) to work with group shadow elements – perhaps something along the lines of the group Process Work developed by Arnold Mindell?
February 4, 2007 1:50 PM

iiadmin said:

Hey Gang,

Can you make sure you're emailing ISQuestion@IntegralSpiritualCenter, and not "ISQuestions" (plural)?  Case shouldn't matter...many thanks,

rollie
February 5, 2007 5:30 PM

adastra said:

Hi Rollie

To test the system I just resent my questions - using the above link as I had before - and this is the error message I instantly got back from my ISP:

Your message could not be delivered.

The recipient's computer rejected your e-mail.
Please verify the recipient's e-mail address and resend.

Recipient:
   Reason:    5.1.1 No such user i15si11294804wxd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this is helpful.  :)

spiral out,
arthur
February 6, 2007 7:22 AM

iiadmin said:

Hmmm, there was in fact an issue with the ISQuestion address.  It's back up now.  Thanks for pointing it out and, great questions!

p.s. Adastra, I am working on something for you, as requested...:-)
February 6, 2007 10:51 AM

adastra said:

Coolness, Rollie.  :)  Avast!

arthur
February 6, 2007 8:03 PM

adastra said:

That call kicked ass - so glad I could make it.

Thanks, Rollie, for moderating it; thanks, Ken, for passing by the tunnel three times recently and sticking around to write more books and talk with your humble students.  Thanks also to my fellow callers for great questions, and I look forward to part 2.   :)

arthur
February 10, 2007 8:16 PM
Anonymous comments are disabled

This Blog

Post Calendar

<February 2007>
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728123
45678910

Syndication

© Integral Institute, 2006. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help