Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Integral Institute Forums » General Community Forums » Integral Approaches to Community

Integral Approaches to Community

Last post 08-12-2006, 5:58 AM by tschmenk. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-19-2006, 12:01 AM 1615

Integral Approaches to Community

Having been a founding member of II, invited in because of my work relating to an integral approach to community, I would like to engage in an ongoing conversation about the social holon known as the community with those who are interested in this topic.

I am particularly interested in working with patterns and resonances in the four quadrants. In addition to the AQAL integral framing I am also interested in complementary concepts such as  multi-sectoral local/global (glocal) dynamics, communities of learning and communities of practice and "global action networks".   Also being a teacher in the Integral Spiritual Center, I am interested in the topic of integral spiritual practice implications of group process, negotiations, politics and what I call "talking to terrorists".

Anyone like to engage?

John Kesler  

• Post Points: 65
    • Report abuse
  •  07-19-2006, 1:15 PM 1632 in reply to 1615

• jbnewton is not online. Last active: 26-08-2006, 7:03 AM jbnewton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-28-2006
    • Woodinville WA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

Re: Integral Approaches to Community

John: Your post about discussing community issues invoked this reply. I claim no expertese, just concern about how to go about redirecting communal plans, processes, resources, patterns, and values, (etc?). I think of "community" as being a concept that is somewhat gelatinous in nature; i.e., small as the interactions between two people, and large as such functionings, as well as we can comprehend, that involve Gaia herself. Major issues (as I see them) are: Global warming Destruction of renewable resources Unbridled consumpsion Social indifferance Religious "truths" Global cooperation & support I feel like a flag, being blown by current events, that is getting weak fast (I'm 77). But nevertheless, I want to do what little bit I can to change the (to me) deadly vector that is our World's direction and velocity these days. I think it is better to die trying, that to give up with "What's the Use".
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-19-2006, 2:29 PM 1633 in reply to 1615

Hi John,

Yes...I would be very interested in participation in this conversation....

Best Regards,

Justin

The First And Foremost Wonder in This World Is the Thought, "I Am Different From God!" There Is No Greater Wonder Than This.

Ramana Marharshi
    • Report abuse
  •  07-19-2006, 5:59 PM 1642 in reply to 1632

Hi jb.  I like to think that what we do that is intensely local has the best chance of having a global impact in the long run, even though the scale of local engagement will not in the short run do much to effect many of the larger issues you address.  In the long run, though, I believe the local/global connections will do more to impact the the larger global issues in many instances than national and regional goverments will do, becuase these large political units by definition will tend to have lower centers of gravity than is possible in designed integral community interaction.

I am just hitting 60 and already have the feeling as well that I will die trying rather than see great progress in my life time.  I am convinced though, that this integral community is going to be a (if not the) major force for transformation.

Is there anything specific about community that you would like to talk about first?

John 

• Report abuse
  •  07-19-2006, 6:01 PM 1643 in reply to 1633

Justin,

Does anything resonate with you so far that jr or I have brought up that you would like to chat about specifically?

John

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  07-19-2006, 7:33 PM 1645 in reply to 1642

John,

I would  like you to "flesh out" a bit more, if you wouldn't mind, the concept of "multi-sectoral local/global (glocal) dynamics, communities of learning and communities of practice and "global action networks".

Also you could highlight what you mean by "intensely local"....What exactly does this action involve....

Best Regards,

Justin

The First And Foremost Wonder in This World Is the Thought, "I Am Different From God!" There Is No Greater Wonder Than This.

Ramana Marharshi
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  07-20-2006, 10:15 PM 1708 in reply to 1645

Justin, 

I just did a long response and when when I hit post, it disappeared???  Perhaps it was too long??

I will try again sometime tomorrow with a more modest post. Who knows, maybe it will appear in the mean time?

John

• Report abuse
  •  07-21-2006, 11:29 AM 1725 in reply to 1708

John,

Sorry to hear that....  Just for future reference if the sign-in/log-in appeared again after you hit post your original post was still available but you have to hit "back" once you have logged in again to find it... I have this happen on a regular basis - but only on my office computer, which may have something to do with security settings?

Regardless, I will be on the lookout for your response...

Justin

Ramana Marharshi
    • Report abuse
  •  07-21-2006, 4:09 PM 1739 in reply to 1645

Justin,

OK, I am trying again.

There is a phenomenon that began arising for the most part only about a decade ago of people working multi-sectorally and locally for the common good and actively networking and learning with similar groups globally.  An example would be the fishing industry, conservationist, local government, sports fishermen etc. in the pacific northwest of the US working on creating sustainable fisheries networking and learning with groups in the North Sea, in Indonesia etc. It is typical to work on a niche area, such as fisheries, human rights, labor standards, etc.  These groups have been named global action networks.  They have recently networked together under the name GAN-Net. 

The first proto example of a gan was the global healthy communities (or healthy cities) movement, which reached its peak before the technology was available to become deeply networked and active in real time globally.  I have worked to pull the movement into a more active global network. I have also convened all the major US community movements (i.e. sustainalble, livable, healthy, etc.) in an integral context to promote a more integral interconnected communities movement. Part of the idea is to establish a global action network that is not niche oriented but rather a broad connection of fully functioning communities.

In any case from this deeply local but globally connected environment of learning and practice there arises an alternative and less politicized approach to public policy development, which has a higher center of gravity and higher quality output, if rarely fully integral so far.

This is a bit more fleshed out what I meant by those terms.

John

• Report abuse
  •  07-24-2006, 12:42 PM 1817 in reply to 1615

• bmp is not online. Last active: 08-08-2006, 2:10 PM bmp
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-25-2006
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Greetings John,

I  am interested in engaging in this conversation.  I use an integral approach to community and organizational change work and over the past couple of years have been intentionally  integrating my spiritual practice specifically meditation,reiki and intuition within the community change process.

Great to find you here!

Becky Miles-Polka

• Report abuse
  •  07-24-2006, 10:09 PM 1883 in reply to 1817

Hi Becky,

Great running into you here!

Could you briefly give and example.  That is so interesting. 

My colleagues and I have been working in this same arena. It would be great to compare notes. 

Healthy communities is a good foundation for this work, but is a movement that is not yet fully integral.

John

• Report abuse
  •  07-25-2006, 7:50 AM 1902 in reply to 1615

Hello John-

I am honored to take part in this and many other conversations and thrilled at the possibilities.  Just reading what was posted here has made me quite excited and I am happy to see that we can all once again begin the dialogue that was started in the commons of IU. (I assume this is what replaced them??)

I, like you, and very interested in applying AQAL to community and have been working with many in the health and wellness field to do just that. I have helped introduce AQAl at the state level (PA health department and now Rhode Island) and have talked at medical associations and conferences trying to do very much what you describe.  Share the information, show those in the same or similar fields how to apply the framework and embed programs that work into the fabric of community.  I strongly draw upon spiral dynamics as well.

A quick example of this would be a small dance program we ran.  It addressed all the possible worldviews ((SDi) that I am aware of…) with marketing or social messages to motivate plus used AQAl to actually grow the program into a community organization.  It took about three years but in 2024, this organization/program transformed into a non-profit which has become highly successful and is currently being used as a model with the state health department.  I will also be presenting the results of this model at a large dance workshop week in New Hampshire in the fall.  There, heads of dance scenes from all over the world will be given the same information and support. (Supporting your idea that strong involvement locally = worldwide. Great tip!! Gives me more hope.)   I am hoping to invigorate local dance scenes across the country, open a space for healthy lifestyles to emerge, and - like you pointed out - by being fiercely local, help energize a national movement though others similar passion.

What do you think?? 

I have passed that original organization off to its community and have moved to a different part of the country where I am beginning to apply similar concepts to the dance community here, plus I am making a run and integrating the a wellness concept with a fitness center for a another model that could also be used locally/nationally. I would be VERY interested in reading how you have applied what you have done (plus anyone else out there on this post) as to look for new ideas, insights, and possible over sights to help increase the velocity of such occurrences happening.

Sorry this blog is so long…  wanted to get involved with you all and give a point of reference as we progress…. 

Todd

Todd
    • Report abuse
  •  07-25-2006, 8:51 PM 2027 in reply to 1902

Hi Todd,

We are indeed soul mates in this work.

I don't know about what you mention that we might be replacing in IU, but am glad to be in this energetic conversation with you and others.

I will enlist my colleague, Carole, to join this conversation. She has been more active than I recently in speaking to community related healthy topics with an integral framing, particularly in Canada. I am working with a state coaliton in Utah with all the major players collectively committed to transforming healthcare.  I am sneaking in the AQAL framing on this one, but it is having an impact.

I would love to see something about your dance model. I am currently integrating the dance and arts into some work I am doing regarding bridging cultural and religious divides in a community, and would love to see how your program has unfolded.

I would be pleased to chat about working the local/global connection. It is potent!

I have recently set up a non-profit to model community based integral best practices, which is another reason I would like to connect and perhaps collaborate.  In this regard I would be happy  to share a core practice for promoting an integrally oriented neutral convening organization.

One thing at a time, I guess.  lets talk!

John 

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 8:20 AM 2054 in reply to 2024

Feel free to drop a line:

401-854-6408

Would love to hear more - faster than I can type....

You can call anytime during the day - I am usually free from about 11am-1pm (EST)

Todd

Todd
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 8:31 AM 2055 in reply to 2024

John,

> I don't know about what you mention that we might be replacing in IU, but am glad to be in this >energetic conversation with you and others.

When Integral University beta launched they had a commons area.  I see that it seems to be gone and wondered what happened to it.  I had some good contacts there I am trying to re-establish.

>I am working with a state coaliton in Utah with all the major players collectively committed to >transforming healthcare.  I am sneaking in the AQAL framing on this one, but it is having an impact.

Good luck with that. I can totally understand the "sneaking" aspect - you may want to call on Brett Thomas over at www.Stegan .com in helping to translate AQAL into a language all holons (levels) will understand.  I met him about a year and a half ago out in Boulder and he was very insightful. 

>I would love to see something about your dance model. I am currently integrating the dance and arts >into some work I am doing regarding bridging cultural and religious divides in a community, and >would love to see how your program has unfolded.

Excellent idea.  Definatley has that potential...

>I have recently set up a non-profit to model community based integral best practices, which is >another reason I would like to connect and perhaps collaborate.  In this regard I would be happy  to >share a core practice for promoting an integrally oriented neutral convening organization.

Sounds good.

>One thing at a time, I guess.  lets talk!

HA!!  If only....  pokers on the fire - or variety I have found keeps many windows open for action... gotta love eros and the muse!

Todd

Todd
    • Report abuse
Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help