Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Holacracy and Integral Governance Thread

Last post 05-01-2008, 10:57 PM by ralphweidner. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (57 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-17-2006, 4:34 PM 222

Holacracy and Integral Governance Thread

I'm curious to know what everybody at I-I has learned about Holacracy with their short time engaged in it. So far, very little has been written about this powerful knew form of holonic governance. I was hoping to pool some information (theoretical and experiential) in this thread to create a knowledge bank of sorts, about Holacracy specifically and integral governance in general.

Thanks,
    Lion

Best,
    Lion
  •  06-17-2006, 6:04 PM 225 in reply to 222

Re: Holacracy and Integral Governance Thread

sounds great Lion,

here are some of the core elements, these are the pieces incorporated from Sociocracy.  This is not the 'Integral' part,  more on that later...

Decisions Made by Consent
    The consent principle governs decision-making. The principle of consent is the method of decision-making whereby the arguments presented in discussing a decision are of paramount importance, and the result of the discussion is that no one present has a reasoned and paramount objection to the decision being made.

Circle Structure

The organization is built of a hierarchy of circles. A circle is a group of persons who are functionally related. Each circle has its own aim and has the authority and responsibility to execute, measure, and control its own activities and to maintain an appropriate level of knowledge and skill assisted by integral training.

Double Linking

A lower circle is always linked to a higher circle in such a way that at least two persons, including the person with leadership accountability for the circle and at least one elected representative from that particular circle, belong to and take part in the decision making of the next higher circle.

Elections by Consent

To the extent permitted by law, persons are elected to functions and roles exclusively by consent after open discussion.

sincerely,
    casey

Corey W. deVos (dj rekluse)
    Brand Manager, Integral Naked
    Audio Manager, Integral Institute
    Managing Editor, KenWilber.com
  •  06-23-2006, 7:47 AM 355 in reply to 225

I too am interested in Holacracy. Brian Roberstons website Holacracy.Org   http://www.holacracy.org/ is fireing up but is still under construction. He promises to go into detail on the website as to the what and how to do department. Until then I am left with only Sociocracy stuff to read. Tom Mull =)
    Tom Mu!!
    Perichorisis
  •  06-23-2006, 4:35 PM 383 in reply to 225

Casey,

Do you happen to know anything about the spelling here? There appear to be two already in use, no doubt with different meanings and purposes, etc. It's look to me like we've got the inferior spelling.

We're wanting to combine a prefix 'holon', which has to do with whole/parts, with a suffix 'cracy', which means form of government. The obvious combination would give us 'holocracy'. And this is typical of the words denoting various forms of government in the sense that they always end with 'ocracy'--with one exception (according to wikipedia): 'acracy', which means negation of rule, as in anarchy. Is that what we want to suggest we're for?

Incidentally, it's great just being able to ask you this,

Ralph

•  06-24-2006, 11:22 AM 431 in reply to 383

At I-I we are officialy using Holacracy, and eventually Integral or AQAL Holacracy.

the root is Holarchy + Sociocracy(or 'cracy' for form of government)

We discussed this at length at Kens loft and this was what he decided to move forward with.   Brian Robertson already had Holocracy in mind as a possible name for the system he has in place, which trancends and includes Sociocracy, but he and Ken agreed that to stress Holarchy over Holon was appropriate. 

As the I-I version of this system matures we of course want to incorporate as much AQAL theory as possible into its evolution, thus the eventual 'Integral Holacracy' or 'AQAL Holacracy', but we are not there yet.  As with any organizational development, it takes time, trial and error to perfect.  It is a fascinating experiment. 

At times, the adoption of Holacracy has felt a little like anarchy, so maybe there is something to that ;)

I would love to continue the dialogue and bring all valid corrections and concerns into I-I to incorporate. 

sincerely,
    casey

•  06-24-2006, 6:02 PM 441 in reply to 431

Thanks, Casey.

Obviously, something quite different than I imagined went into the choice of spelling. My imagination has a way of doing that! Also, I like to keep things simple--sometimes too simple. And of course, we want to include anarchy to some extent, although not as much as I was fearing was implied.

Sounds good! Ralph

•  06-27-2006, 9:31 AM 541 in reply to 441

• slbrown is not online. Last active: 10-26-2006, 10:30 AM slbrown
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Florida, Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 22
    • Points 495

Hi all,

I am certainly interested in this thread as I work in local government. I am Town Administrator for a rural town in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts. We are a small town with most of our elected officials working other full time jobs and fulfilling their elected duties in mostly a volunteer role. I am pretty alone in my interest in integral and what Holaracy looks like and how it is enacted, a lot of blue meme surrounding me. Appling Integral for me really is an exercise of action as no one else in my circle is interested in the theoretical  discusion of it, so having the opportunity to discuss it here with others feels like a great opportunity.

Is anyone actively engaged in Holaracy or have any suggestions for some reading?

Thanks,
    Sue

And right there was everything I knew and I could not say what that was. - Natalie Goldberg
  •  06-27-2006, 11:56 PM 567 in reply to 541

Sue,

They're beginning to try it out with the core group at SeattleIntegral, which has a Yahoo Group website. You could also contact their founder, Gary Stamper, directly through his blogspot (I hope I've got that right--if not, I'm sure you can find him or them.). Of course, I-I was checking it out before them.

Obviously, they both have alot of 2nd tier to work with, which you don't. I believe I-I got the idea from Brian Robertson, who calls his version sociocracy, and it is, perhaps (I'm guessing), more intended for a Green center of gravity.

Eric, a new member of my local group, integralportland.com, says he has been trying to do something like what you describe, but in the private sector.

It sounds like you could be a real pioneer!

Ralph

•  06-28-2006, 7:11 AM 577 in reply to 567

• slbrown is not online. Last active: 10-26-2006, 10:30 AM slbrown
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Florida, Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 22
    • Points 495

Ralph,

thanks for the leads. I will check them out and be back to discuss some more after I do some reading.

Casey - does I-I have any suggested readings on Holacracy?

Thanks,
    Sue

And right there was everything I knew and I could not say what that was. - Natalie Goldberg
  •  06-28-2006, 1:31 PM 586 in reply to 577

Sue,

there is not a lot out there, but for an overview of Brian Robertson's system see:  http://holacracy.org/

I am reading one of Brian's reccommended sources:  Elliot Jaques -- Requisite Organization

this book is tough to find but it is out there. 
    We will publish more information as it becomes available to this thread.

case

•  06-29-2006, 7:33 AM 625 in reply to 586

In the sociocratic consent process a proposal has to accept a "reasoned and paramount" objection. It seems that reason is the gold standard and the altitude where discussion must take place. In holacracy we're including higher altitutes, so what altitude will be the gold standard for consent? And how will an organization determine one's altitude?
  •  06-29-2006, 3:11 PM 640 in reply to 431

ralph,

in addition to what casey said, another simple reason is that, during the time brian and i were going back and forth between the two spellings, we googled them and found that the ocracy was swamped with people using it, but few were using the acracy.  we decided what the heck, accurate or not, we'd go with the latter....

take care good buddy,  ken

•  06-30-2006, 1:28 PM 677 in reply to 640

ken and, of course, everyone else as well,

So many choices! what to say, what not to say, how to say it, how not to say it. what to do, what not to do. I don't know about the rest of you, but I really need something like AQAL to guide me in this, and what I was using before AQAL was definitely a whole lot worse. Holacracy is intended to address what appears to me to be the most neglected quadrant, LLQ, the home of that mysterious, miraculous We, that we absolutely cannot do without.

I'm fortunate, I guess, not to be nearly as busy as Ken, or colleagues, for that matter--Lynne Feldman comes immediately to mind--or many others of you who also don't have the time to read many of the messages posted here, let alone post your own. You are also among the ones Ken has intimated elsewhere who are busy constructing possibilities for our future.

Needless to say, Ken, I'm overjoyed you found the time for this posting, even if it leaves me a little uneasy about all that you had to set aside, if for only a moment.

And now I'm confronted by new choices. I've been writing or typing capital letters for almost 60 years, and now I suddenly see that alot of them aren't necessary, or even desirable. But if I adopt this too quickly, won't people see me as something worse than even a Wilber minion?

you take good care, too. we don't want you to get run over by any bus. ralph

•  06-30-2006, 7:02 PM 693 in reply to 677

• ikarma is not online. Last active: 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM ikarma
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Jupiter, Florida USA
    • Posts 69
    • Points 1,320

I currently run a small company where all of us are involved with computer programming and logical systems.  Our decision making process seemed to just naturally take Holocratic form since we respect each others abilities and we are small enough to operate as a single cell.  But I could see that as we grew we would need a more formal structure.  So I was fascinated to learn about the work of Brian Robertson at Holacracy.org and his team and that a more formal framework was available that could be applied to larger businesses and organizations.  I also like the idea that as this structure gains popularity in the business world, I can see that a critical mass will quickly develop to the point where these principles can be applied to government as well.

Peace & Prosperity

Paul Williams
    http://Paul.ikarma.com
  •  06-30-2006, 7:10 PM 694 in reply to 677

Holocracy-Holacracy---I don't care how you spell it, all I know is that I like the sound of it, particularly in light of the current state of politics in this country and the rest of the world. The concept of a new form of government is inspiring and helps lift me out of this sense of hopelessness and despair about the direction the world is going in. I'm guessing I wont live to see anything like a holacracy in my lifetime, but I can dream about it for future generations, and the idea has to start somewhere, so why not with me/us here/now. I look forward to hearing/learning more and will certainly check out the links listed above.
    There are two types of conversations worth having; those about the deepest things, and gossip!
Page 1 of 4 (57 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help