Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

iWET - Miami Beach, FL - Oct 14-15, 2024 - More Info
Women’s Integral Life Practice Seminar - Oct 15-20, 2024 - More Info
Integral Life Practice Starter Kit - More Info

Altar of Art

Last post 08-26-2006, 10:09 AM by LIghtfield. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (57 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-03-2006, 10:22 PM 839

• perera is not online. Last active: 09-22-2006, 12:19 AM perera
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Boulder, CO and Colombo, Sri Lanka
    • Posts 279
    • Points 3,185

Altar of Art

Do you practice Art? Does Art practice you? Would you like to share your Art here?

In A Simple Feeling of Being, Ken Wilber remarks upon art and the sublime, "The artwork, no matter what the object, becomes transparent to the Divine, and is a direct expression of Spirit.... The viewer momentarily becomes the art and is for the moment released from the alienation that is ego."

Let's explore touching Spirit through Integral Art...

And as we enter this forum, let us enter from our very Highest.

Nomali @ ISC
    Project Manager

~Save the Earth- it's the only planet with Chocolate!

• Post Points: 50
    • Report abuse
  •  07-03-2006, 10:28 PM 840 in reply to 839

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Posts 279
    • Points 3,185

Re: Altar of Art

Art is the perception and depiction of the Sublime, the Transcendent, the Beautiful, the Spiritual. Art is a window to God, an opening to the Goddess, a portal through which you and I, with the help of the artist, may discover depths and heights of our soul undreamt of by the vulgar world.  Art is the eye of Spirit, through which the Sublime can reach down to us, and we up to It, and be transfigured and transformed in the process. Art, at its best, is the representation of your very own soul, a reminder of who and what you truly are, and therefore can become.

Ken Wilber

The Simple Feeling of Being, 221

Nomali @ ISC
    Project Manager

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  07-03-2006, 10:42 PM 841 in reply to 840

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Posts 279
    • Points 3,185

Attachment: CA36.JPG
    a simple offering...

Nomali @ ISC
    Project Manager

• Post Points: 65
    • Report abuse
  •  07-04-2006, 10:26 AM 904 in reply to 841

Nomali,

I see that the thread has begun.  I replied in the old thread.

More to come from me here later.

I'd love to share my stuff too.  I'll have to figure out how to make my .doc file into a .txt one.

Best,
    Kelly

It's ALL soul. Junior Wells
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-04-2006, 12:12 PM 911 in reply to 904

• jaysyouruncle is not online. Last active: 09-21-2006, 8:22 AM jaysyouruncle
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

Kelly, if you've got Microsoft Word, just "save as"  *.txt

"I always try to get up every morning..." Jimi Hendrix
    • Report abuse
  •  07-04-2006, 2:23 PM 923 in reply to 841

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

Here's a high-school drawing of where I was most of the time back then---planet guitar.
    I notice it comes out smushed so to really see its shape you have to click on it. ( I never thought of it as practicing, it was just what I did when I did what I most wanted to do
    Since I can edit this post I'll add something about why I decided to share this piece with everyone, even though it's adolescentish (I did it 20 years ago or so)---it's meant as an illustration of a certain state of internal conciousness that one gets when doing something passionately, like music, in reference to what we were discussing earlier.

Looking back, I can see that that state of conciousness was very closed off, almost unconcious relative to the state I'm in now when I pick up a guitar, after playing/practicing for 30 years. Yet, when I'm at my best, I'll still include that intense inner world in my awareness. Transcend and include, what do ya know?

As you can see from the drawing, I'm in my own universe, and my body is very tense, meaning I'm not really aware of it. Whereas over the years, I've had to learn to be completely aware of my body, how the tensions and balances affect the music, aware of my breathing, how that effects the music, increasingly aware of all the underlying musical architecture--melody, harmony, rhythm, and how these elements come together to create the music, among other things.

One other really hard thing for me to get, and I'm still very much working on it:  I had to become aware of the audience and of how I'm in communication with them, not only musically but with my body, my transmission of energy and spirit. This last element is something that is not taught much in music schools, especially in terms of transmission of spirit, big surprise. But I think it's what separates great performers from the rest, quite often---they are people who intuitively grasped that element and have developed it to a high degree.

It seems the common demoninator here is Conciousness, when you practice art, music, performance, etc, the injunction is to increase your Awareness or Consciousness constantly, because the more you are able to conciously embrace in your awareness (i.e. both the intense inner world depicted in this drawing as well as your awareness of your body, and of the aliveness of everything surrounding you, the audience included if there is one present, the more communicative and deeper the art will probably be.

Does that sound about right?

Jay

• Report abuse
  •  07-05-2006, 8:39 AM 945 in reply to 841

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

Nomali, that's a beautiful painting, it loosens up something in my chest, untightens a little lever somewhere around my heart when I look at it....

Technical question: is it watercolor? If so, how did you do it?

Jay

• Report abuse
  •  07-05-2006, 9:46 AM 947 in reply to 945

• antlion is not online. Last active: 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM antlion
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Ottawa
    • Posts 8
    • Points 130

Hi, Folks…

Nomali – I visited your IN Avant Garde gallery – wow, those are amazing pieces! They are so ethereal and powerful.  These are very inspiring…what medium do you tend to use most? Trying to get a scale of appreciation – do you tend to use typical sizes?

Jay – I dabble in guitar a bit (enough to make everyone in the house annoyed ;-), and your picture resonated with me, both as a musician and an artist – I reminds me of the feeling I have when I’m ‘creating’.  It’s one of detachment – a State.  Time passes by so quickly.

Thanks,
    Bruce
  •  07-05-2006, 9:56 AM 948 in reply to 947

• antlion is not online. Last active: 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM antlion
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Ottawa
    • Posts 8
    • Points 130

Here's my addition to the Alter of Art...

One of my favorite stops when visiting my folks in the Southwest is the Petroglyphs at Three Rivers in New Mexico, created by the Jornada Mogollon people between about 900 and 1400 AD.  The Petroglyphs sit on a high crest of volcanic outcrop.

Sitting there amongst the Petroglyphs and imagining life in that time – the simplicity, hardships, and the joy of looking out over the countryside inspired me to paint the picture below depicting the delicate balance of these people and surrounding environs.  The Bighorn Sheep in the area are facing a severe decline in population – I transformed the end of the sheep’s horn into corn to represent their dependence on farming.

It’s a great place to visualize while meditating – I ‘return’ often. 

Hunter - Gatherer
    24"x36" - Acrylic on Canvas

Thanks,
    Bruce
  •  07-05-2006, 12:25 PM 960 in reply to 911

Jay and Nomali and others,

Here is a piece I wrote for an event I just put up last week.  The event is an evening intended to bring people together to stretch their thinking, connect on a deep level and have some fun.  It consisited of me opening with this piece, then I guided the group through a Joanna Macy exercise about connecting with Future Beings, and then we shook our ass to R&B...The event is called "The Electric Blue Left-Hand Citizen Review."

Enjoy,
    Kelly

file:///Users/kelly/Desktop/***%20Hope.txt

• Report abuse
  •  07-05-2006, 12:31 PM 963 in reply to 960

Dang,

I can't attach it.  Hmmmm... I'm a bit of a novice with this stuff.
    I don't want to post it - it's about five pages. 
    If you are interested, I can send it in an email.

Best,
    Kelly

• Report abuse
  •  07-06-2006, 10:36 AM 1038 in reply to 948

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

Another awesome painting! Damn, looks like we've got some really talented people here!
    Looking at it , I feel as though I'm resting inside of ancient Bighorn Consciousness...

Bruce, I'm going to put up some links to some of my guitar playing, I'm remastering an old concert and there's some good stuff there.

Jay

• Report abuse
  •  07-06-2006, 10:48 AM 1041 in reply to 963

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

Attachment: THIS IS A TEST.txt
    Kelly, I'd love for you to be able to post it. I'm doing a test to see if it's possible.

If you press 'reply' then go to the options tab, the first thing you see is "file attachment" and press the button under that "add/update"

a window should pop up and you need to browse for the file you want to make available for integral consumption

then you press 'save", and press "post' down at the bottom. If it worked, it will show up before this message because I just pressed it.

jay

• Report abuse
  •  07-06-2006, 10:50 AM 1042 in reply to 1041

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

Attachment: THIS IS A TEST.txt
    and it didn't work....but that';s probably because I had nothing written in the message...let's see if this works...

• Report abuse
  •  07-06-2006, 10:56 AM 1043 in reply to 1042

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 18
    • Points 300

and voila, it worked! so as long as you can turn your document into a .txt, it should post here.
    If you're having trouble doing that, you could try opening up notepad, select all/copy all that you want to copy, and then past that into notepad, save it, and you'll have a txt file.

Jay

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
Page 1 of 4 (57 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help