Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Integral Institute Forums » General Community Forums » Integral Critics' Circle » Re: Road Rules

Last post 06-17-2008, 10:28 PM by schalk. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-16-2008, 4:42 PM 55596 in reply to 55579

Re: Road Rules

Hi Schalk,

The ‘voice’ of a second-tier speaker does carry certain qualities; but what such a voice ‘sounds like’ in actual practice is subject to varying interpretations outside of the control of the speaker. In part this is due to what could be called the vertical relations between one level and another or more importantly between first-tier and second. In simplest terms when first-tier comes across a production or voice of second-tier it often seems opaque or even impenetrable; the corollary is also true for the second tier, where first tier production appears as transparent.

Perhaps you remember a conversation between KW and Tami Simon that made reference to human capacities that were rather colloquially called ‘a truth detector’ and/or a ‘crap detector’. So i suggest that this is the sort of thing that points to qualities that a second-tier voice might demonstrate; it may also in some sense occasionally be beautiful, and or carry a sense of goodness.

In any case i think it's fair to say that second tier voices tend to carry a greater and deeper sense of authenticity, than does first-tier which often labors under the burden of deficiency needs, which cause it to bend incoming impressions in such a way that they are seen as validation.  

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that third tier is as opaque to second-tier as second tier is to first.

Here's a story that may relate to this question. It was noon hour and i was seated on a marble bench in a wing of the Art Institute of Chicago that contained many stone statues of the Buddha. I sat there quietly for a while, and then a thought entered, “What if instead of a stone Buddha i was sitting next to the real live creature; what if anything would he have to say to me?” The next thought was, “That's impossible!” But wait, i have three similar and handy coins in my pocket, which could easily be used to perform a divination using this ‘what if’ question (Employing the great Chinese classic of change, which i had grokked at least to the extent of Confucius -both of us having worn the covers off of our copies more than once.) When the answer came up as chapter 47 variously known as exhaustion, oppression, or weariness and where the English text says, “Even though it be said, it would not be believed.” I considered this reply to be marvelously apt and loaded with irony -which if i may add- points to the subtle humor of second-tier and perhaps beyond.

Warmly,

Charles

88W18'28" 41N58'02"

• Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  06-16-2008, 10:58 PM 55624 in reply to 55596

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  06-16-2008, 11:56 PM 55627 in reply to 55624

Tomorrow, I hope to respond to this question.  Pattye
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  06-17-2008, 6:00 AM 55652 in reply to 55624

Hi Schalk,

>> we are essentially avoiding doing really valuable work in using words to explore real life and instead trying constantly to "demonstrate" to each other and ourselves that we "get" it, that we are 2nd Tier, that we are of high altitude.<<

The sort of active demonstration you are referring to here is not a second-tier phenomenon at all. One way to look at first tier second-tier distinctions is to use needs ala Abraham Maslow; where first-tier needs could be associated with deficiency and second-tier needs with fullness, abundance, or overflow, i.e. being needs. Attempts to resolve the deficiency needs of first-tier are at the heart of this need to ‘demonstrate’ and importantly to seek validation from the other. Second tier is more like the sun at midday; it's not out to prove anything but offers what light and warmth that is available to it freely and without condition; and as such is self validating.

This is not to say that a first tier voice may actually express itself in such a way as to avoid doing really valuable work in using words to explore real life.

Warmly,

Charles

88W18'28" 41N58'02"

• Report abuse
  •  06-17-2008, 9:55 AM 55676 in reply to 55652

• Report abuse
  •  06-17-2008, 4:23 PM 55724 in reply to 55676

Hi Schalk,

>>>I am still calling for an amendment of the road rules that permit all members of the convention to step down into the real world and apply Integral to very real scenarios without having to fear that they will be exposed or ridiculed as non-2nd Tier voices.<<<

Perhaps you might consider employing the poll feature here and put your suggested amendment to the road rules to a test.

From my view folks have very decided tendencies to live in their own space; this is something i hold that they are entitled to do. There is nothing in any ‘road rule’ or other spiritually oriented injunction known to me that requires a person to evolve.

Warmly,

Charles

88W18'28" 41N58'02"

• Report abuse
  •  06-17-2008, 4:38 PM 55725 in reply to 55724

• Report abuse
  •  06-17-2008, 9:35 PM 55783 in reply to 55725

Hi Schalk,

As stated earlier we each tend to live in our own space and to a large extent this is determinative in what voices are available to us including our highest.

If one is doing one's best it's not possible to do better without changing the space in which one lives.

This change does not necessarily come easy; mostly because of our tendency to cling to the known, typically this is called resistance. But it turns out that such change or transformation appears more difficult entering a transition phase than leaving it.

Warmly,

Charles

88W18'28" 41N58'02"

• Report abuse
  •  06-17-2008, 10:28 PM 55793 in reply to 55783

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
Page 2 of 2 (24 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2006. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help