Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Second Life: The next incarnation of the WWW?

Last post 11-21-2006, 9:52 PM by 93Nothing88. 196 replies.
Page 2 of 14 (197 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-12-2006, 4:41 AM 7637 in reply to 7636

Re: Second Life: The next incarnation of the WWW?

That's great Wicke, see you there.

I get crashes every now and then, but never seem to have lost anything. When I relaunch, I end up where I was just before the crash. I don't think your computer is the problem.

Good to see that you've started building stuff, 93Nothing88. I left Help Island by now, and I'm looking forward to participating on what you're doing.

Peter
    "All nations should be like Amsterdam" -- Ken Wilber
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  09-12-2006, 9:59 AM 7659 in reply to 7637

Yeah,  I get a lot of crashes.  Linden labs is always upgrading the software - they shoot for every other wednesday - so there are always bugs and stuff.  There is also a limit to how many people can be in the same region/sim at the same time.  I think the current limit is 40 - but it used to be much less.  The good thing is that it only takes a few seconds for the viewer to load,  and if I loose anything it is only the stuff I was just using - It has happened a few times,  but nothing critical.

I don't own any land yet,  so anything I make has to go back into my inventory,  but I've been looking.  I feel almost ready - one of the things I was waiting on was some help Big Smile [:D].  You should check out some of the sandbox areas and play around with building,  as well as go through the Mighty Prims tutorials - a copy of which is at New Citizens Incorporated.

I'll be running errands today,  but hopefully will be in SL later on,  and I'll look for you both.  I think that untill we have some land of our own,  NCI is a good base point.  LL will be rolling out another update on Wednesday,  so the main grid will be down.  You can download a seperate viewer for the test grid though,  which is very similar except that nothing done there is permanent (and you get 5000 Lindens to play with Party!!! [<:o)]).

See you all on the other sideSmile [:)],
    Mike

P.S.  It would be cool if you posted what times you are likely to be in SL in GMT.  That way we can coordinate.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-12-2006, 3:19 PM 7676 in reply to 7659

Hi Mike,

Expect me to be in SL mostly between 7 PM and 10 PM GMT, but not every day.

Peter

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 4:26 AM 7795 in reply to 7676

Attachment: Snapshot_003.JPG
    Ken Wilber in Second Life (click to enlarge)

• Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 7:14 AM 7802 in reply to 7620

93Nothing88:
    Here is a picture of a 3d diagram I made showing the percentage of population at different SD vMemes.  I would have used the new color scale that Wilber has developed,  but I couldn't find it and am still not that familiar with it.  The sizes of the cylinders are based on my own rough estimates - I know they are off,  and that SD is,  in some ways,  suspect,  or at least limited.  This is mostly just to demonstrate what can be done.  The little podium in front contains a script that causes it to give a notecard when touched (left clicked).  The notecard apears to the left.  If you can't read it,  it says something like "Spiral Dynamics blah blah bleh boo."  Stick out tongue [:P]  It just seems like an II presence here is a no-brainer.

Is there a way to link to a regular website in there?  So that if someone clicked on something they would actually open a window to the introductory I-I screen, or to Ken's blog or some such?  That would be one way of getting a presence there.  Or can you embed downloads in Second Life?  Then an introductory PDF could be put there or something...like the IOS document for example.

curiously,
    arthur

IIzaadz pod - http://pods.zaadz.com/ii - combines the best of I-I and zaadz. If you're turquoise and you know it, drop on by. :)

"You've never seen everything." - Bruce Cockburn
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 7:56 AM 7805 in reply to 7802

Hi Arthur,

Everything you create in SL can be scripted; I'm learning how that works at the moment. It looks like a function to load a URL (http and https) is  there, but it is not described in the user's guide for the scripting language. I'll try to find out...[edit: okay, I found out how it works, we can launch an internet browser from within the game.]

I just noticed that the reverse is also possible: taking you from a website to a location in the SL world. Have a look here. As soon as we have a fixed location for our info center, we'll post the URL Smile [:)]

The SL world's population is projected to grow to 1 million before the end of the year, so it's really picking up steam.

Peter

• Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 10:59 AM 7821 in reply to 7805

Yeah,  I can't believe how much of a popularion surge there has been.  When I got my account last month there were less than 500k,  and now I see that there are more than 700k registered users. 

These updates of theirs can really suck though - they try to do one every two weeks.  But I understand that they are focusing on improving stability and performance and anytime you mess around with complex software unexpected stuff happens Tongue Tied [:S]

Kessels,  it sounds like you'll be ahead of me soon!  You've already imported a texture - something I haven't done yet.  I know you can inbed links in notecards,  but can you do it in objects?  And would it be nice to do it like that - sounds kinda like a pop-up window.  At least with it inbedded in a notecard you can tell that it is a link. 

I think that with the new version they just rolled out you can offer friendship to someone who isn't online,  so I'm gonna try that.

Arthur!  Get yer butt in SL - it's free and I think you'll like it.  I predict that within the next year or two the multiplex will have it's own private island in SL.  (mind you they just updated their software so things might be a little shakey for a day or two - remember what it's like to move from one version of the forum to another?  SL does that every 2 weeks Crying [:'(],  except it isn't quite as bad).

Catch you all later,
    Mike

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 12:33 PM 7829 in reply to 7821

93Nothing88:

Arthur!  Get yer butt in SL - it's free and I think you'll like it.  I predict that within the next year or two the multiplex will have it's own private island in SL.  (mind you they just updated their software so things might be a little shakey for a day or two - remember what it's like to move from one version of the forum to another?  SL does that every 2 weeks Crying [:'(],  except it isn't quite as bad).

Yeah, just what I need - another timesuck.  Indifferent [:|]

BTW I referred leela to this thread in another forum; remains to be seen if she contributes anything to it; she started using Second Life earlier than anyone else on Integral Naked, so she should be a grizzled veteran by now.  Smile [:)]

arthur

IIzaadz pod - http://pods.zaadz.com/ii - combines the best of I-I and zaadz. If you're turquoise and you know it, drop on by. :)

"You've never seen everything." - Bruce Cockburn
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 2:08 PM 7842 in reply to 7821

93Nothing88:
    I know you can inbed links in notecards,  but can you do it in objects?  And would it be nice to do it like that - sounds kinda like a pop-up window.  At least with it inbedded in a notecard you can tell that it is a link.

I wrote a small script to test it. The user first gets a question asking if it is okay to start his browser, and he can also see the URL to which he will be redirected. When the user clicks on the 'go to page' button, the users's default browser is started. Works fine. So I don't think it's a rude thing to do...

Here's the script, in case you'd like to try it:

{
        touch_start(integer total_number)
        {
            llLoadURL(llDetectedKey(0), "Ken Wilber", "http://www.kenwilber.com");
        }
    }

That's all, really...

I think that with the new version they just rolled out you can offer friendship to someone who isn't online,  so I'm gonna try that.

I think I offered you friendship now; please check if it worked on your side.

Peter
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 3:02 PM 7846 in reply to 7842

• aeryck is not online. Last active: 11-20-2006, 11:26 AM aeryck
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Posts 26
    • Points 590

I created an account yesterday, and am still exploring Help Island.  When I make the jump to the "real" world, I'll look you guys up.  My avatar is "Aeryck Wright".

See you there!

Aeryck

Seeking the Unseekable
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 3:04 PM 7847 in reply to 7846

This sounds like a great idea, I'm totally in.  Virtual Communities totally intrigue me........and i just kicked a nasty WoW habit a few months ago.  This might fill the void nicely!

I'm thinkin' of something orange. Something orange. Give up? It's an orange.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 10:56 PM 7878 in reply to 7847

Thanks Kessels.  Only a few days old and you're already scripting Smile [:)].  That isn't obnoxious at all.  Just wait untill you teleport somewhere and they have "greeter robots."  They fly around you and babble and give you stuff you don't want.  Very annoying scripting there!  Thanks for the friendship - I figured out how to do it.  (Aeryck I offered you friendship - my avatar name is Enkidu Fanwood).

Now that this is picking up steam we should think about either forming a group and purchasing land collectively,  or one of us getting it and hosting.  Owning land does incur a monthly fee ("tier") - but a piece of land big enough for our needs would only cost around $10 - pretty cheap even with only a few people - and I see it multiplying.

Of course there is no reason that we can't go landless - just find an already existing public space as a meeting place.  Still,  I'd like there to be a place people could go to get exposed to integral thinking,  including external links to here.

Hey Jlange,  I never played WoW,  but I did get into Eve Online for a few months.  Eve has better graphics than SL,  but it doesn't compare when it comes to freedom of expression and sheer weirdness.  Definitely more than a game!  Can't wait to see you there.  Post your avatar name here so we can all add you as a friend - this will allow us to know when you are logged in and vice versa and make communication much easier.  You might also want to post the times you are likely to be in SL - for simplicities sake I prefer GMT - but I guess you could also use SLT (Second Life Time) which is just PST.

Leela,  if you're out there,  we sure could use you.  Now that a basic account is free residency is soaring.  Your experience could be invaluable - or completely obsolete if you've been away froms SL for a while Stick out tongue [:P].  They keep changing stuff!   But probably more of the former.

Arthur - if it is time well spent is it really a waste?  Besides,  sucking isn't always bad Devil [6].  Just an unofficial extension of this community into another medium - it would be great to see you there.  Besides,  I bet you could buy a centaur avatar from someone - maby even make one.

I'm really glad there is so much interest! Big Smile [:D]
    Mike
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 8:37 AM 7926 in reply to 7878

I got a premium account, so I can claim some land. I'd be perfecly happy hosting a permanent location there for our group; I don't see any other useful purpose for the land anyway, at the moment.

I'm relying on Mike for picking a good spot, since I didn't scout around much yet...

Peter

• Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 10:50 AM 7952 in reply to 7926

Okay,  I can start looking around more.  But I need to know how big a space you want - if we decide we want to expand,  there may not be a neighbor selling,  or they will be asking an exhorbitant price.  So best to get what we need in the beggining:  expanding later may mean pulling up stakes and moving somewhere else entirely.

You might check out EduNation.  They have "classrooms" for rent and will be getting a ventrilo server (free voip).  It would have all the benefits of owned land and would be in a region dedicated to learning.  Might make a better atmosphere. 

Land Pricing & Use Fees

1536m3 allows 351 prims (not very much really)  - $8 a month tier
    2560m3 allows 585 prims (possibly enough) - $15 a month tier
    4608m3 allows 1053 prims (possibly too much,  definitely enough) - $25 a month tier
    Remember that the above includes the 512m3 that you don't have to pay tier on.

If you host Kessels,  we should still form a group and we can donate Lindens to you to help pay the tier.  A few bucks from each of us would easily cover it.  You can convert Lindens to $U.S. on their webpage - this will go automatically to paying any fees to LL unless you have it transfered out into your account.

For those of you who don't want to give LL your account info (don't know why unless you're worried about spending too much Devil [6]) you can still earn Lindens in SL.  I get paid much more an hour in RL personally,  although I have made a few hundred Lindens playing Tringo.

Mike
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:22 AM 7958 in reply to 7952

Okay,  I got logged off by an administrater.  They are apparently still having problems with the new version.  Still,  it was really cool chating with two aqalistas at the same time Big Smile [:D].

I'll be back in SL tonight around 7 or 8 SLT(PST).  If I can't find anyone I'll just do more scouting for land.

Mike

• Report abuse
Page 2 of 14 (197 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help