Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Altar of Art

Last post 08-26-2006, 10:09 AM by LIghtfield. 56 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (57 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-06-2006, 12:09 PM 1051 in reply to 1043

Re: Altar of Art

Attachment: Hope.txt
    Hey Jay,

Here is my piece.

It's ALL soul. Junior Wells
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  07-06-2006, 11:11 PM 1075 in reply to 947

Hi Jay and Bruce,

Such amazing feedback! Thanks so much. I am deeply honored.

You both asked about medium and scale....Pretty much all my my abstracts on Integral Naked are watercolors and are mostly lettersize.  Some however are on postersize paper and a few are actually as small as a business card!  I take pictures of them (not very professionally) and then i love to play with tones on the computer. 

You both have amazing talent!!!

Thanks!

Nomali

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  07-07-2006, 9:17 AM 1087 in reply to 1051

• jaysyouruncle is not online. Last active: 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM jaysyouruncle
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Just glancing at your piece, it looks really interesting, Kelly. I'm going to read it today.

For those of you who are interested I'm planning to start an Integral Music thread soon,  I want to keep it totally open to integral artists of all stripes because many of the issues are the same/similar for all artists..Since threads are multiplying at the Multiplex, I think this Altar of Art thread would be a great place to keep as a repository/showcase of artwork offered to the community by its members.

And for your listening pleasure, here's a live performance of a piece I wrote called Variations on a Mongolian Folk Song
    (click on the link and it should start downloading or playing depending on how your computer's set up)

Story behind the piece:
    I was an "Artistic Ambassador" more than ten years ago to China, Mongolia, Korea, Taiwan. and basically travelled through the countries for six weeks, got treated like a combination diplomat/rock star, a heady combination. In Mongolia I performed with the local musicians a bit, and they taught me some tunes, two of which I used for this piece in which I tried to invoke my feeling for the sounds and textures of their music, and their lifestyle that's set in this incredible nomadic spaciousness (the introduction tries to portray this).  A lot of their music is about horses, and this one is no exception, as you'll hear once it starts galloping....

The guitar is tuned to an alternate tuning, a giant, resonant C# minor chord, which works great for folk-inspired music.

Jay

"I always try to get up every morning..." Jimi Hendrix
    • Report abuse
  •  07-08-2006, 9:03 AM 1131 in reply to 1051

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Kelly, that was great!
    I want the t-shirt!

Jay

• Report abuse
  •  07-08-2006, 9:46 AM 1133 in reply to 1087

Hi, Jay,

I really enjoyed listening to "Variations on a Mongolian Folk Song."  I'm a fan of Mongolian and Tuvan music, and lived for a number of years in Asia (Korea, Indonesia, India, etc), studying music (samulnori, gamelan, suling and bansuri).  I love Western/Eastern fusion in music as much as I do in philosophy and food!  Thanks for the listening treat....

Best wishes,

B.

May the boundless knowledge that time presents and space allows illuminate the native perspectives of your original face.

• Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-08-2006, 11:21 AM 1140 in reply to 1087

Hi Jay,

A very interesting personal story/experience and the piece took me right into "another space".... as I sipped the coffee, gazed out the window on one of our mountain views and my neighbors garage sale in progress - and all of it brought on a smile....

Thanks Jay,

Justin  

The First And Foremost Wonder in This World Is the Thought, "I Am Different From God!" There Is No Greater Wonder Than This.

Ramana Marharshi
    • Report abuse
  •  07-08-2006, 12:02 PM 1143 in reply to 841

Apparently I need to get "out" more often....

I have been perusing "Altar of Art" this morning and I feel that each contribution demands a personal response - so here's your's Nomali:

"Little Moments of Manifestation" was/is one of the most beautiful and moving works of art I have had the pleasure to view - "I" disappeared and entered into the sacred space....the painful/loving of all that is....

Thank You Nomali,

Namaste....

Justin

The First And Foremost Wonder in This World Is the Thought, "I Am Different From God!" There Is No Greater Wonder Than This.

Ramana Marharshi
    • Report abuse
  •  07-09-2006, 8:38 PM 1221 in reply to 1143

• perera is not online. Last active: 08-26-2006, 7:11 PM perera
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Boulder, CO and Colombo, Sri Lanka
    • Posts 228
    • Points 2,690

Justin,  thank you SOOOO much for such amazing feedback!

I have to look; maybe you have something too...

N

Nomali @ ISC
    Project Manager

~Save the Earth- it's the only planet with Chocolate!

• Report abuse
  •  07-10-2006, 10:12 AM 1240 in reply to 1133

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Balder, thanks for listening to my piece. I also love western/eastern fusion music, obviously. I've done a bit of raga singing, and I use the practice of singing pure tones against a drone sometimes, to increase my musical depth. (if you're interested in that, check out W.A. Matheiu, especially his theory book called "Harmonic Experience" which is full of practices to get you to sing and feel tones and notes in your body, not just in your head.

I also lived in India when I was young, then grew up through high school in the Philippines.

• Report abuse
  •  07-10-2006, 10:27 AM 1241 in reply to 1140

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

thanks, Justin for listening to the piece! I'm glad it took you into another space, perhaps a cooler space: I'm imagining that in Tucson it's even hotter than it is right now in NYC.

Is there an integral scene at all in Tucson? both of my brothers live there with their families and I often visit.

Jay

Just for everyone's info, if you want to hear more of my music, you can go to my website/work in progress at jaykauffman.com

I have several downloads from the same live concert in San Fran that this was a cut from; and some other things as well. if you're a classical guitarist with a bit of technique under your belt, there are links there to where you can purchase some of these scores.

• Report abuse
  •  07-10-2006, 7:37 PM 1263 in reply to 1241

Hi Jay,

I dropped you a line on your website.... Thanks again for the link...

As far as Integral goes here in Tucson - I will shortly be looking for co-creators in that dimension, so if you know any "kindred spirits" inhabiting this desert domain I'm all ears.... By the way the "monsoons" have arrived, so we are beginning to see the arrvial of beautiful electrical shows combined with wet faces - a much anticipated change to that glaring orange orb viewed through dusty sunglasses....

Best Regards,

Justin

Ramana Marharshi
    • Report abuse
  •  07-11-2006, 9:02 AM 1290 in reply to 1043

• antlion is not online. Last active: 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM antlion
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Ottawa
    • Posts 8
    • Points 130

Hi, Nomali -
    That's amazing that you can get such a huge celestial feeling on so small of a working area.  I thought for sure that your pieces were 30x36 or even larger!  I don't think I could even attempt to keep such a HUGE expression limited to a small canvas or card...are you still actively painting? Daily?

And what life-experiences you have had, too, ref. zaadz photos in Sri Lanka.

And, Hi, Jay - I went to your website and downloaded/listened to the Mongolian song and all of the others that were available - my favorites being the Mongolian and Juicy Fruit.  I have a friend w/ a masters in classical music [guitar] and have passed along the links to him, too.  I love listening to guitar and 'seeing' where it takes me emotionally.  The description of the Mongolian song really reinforced the building-up of the pace. Truly amazing talent, both as a musician and an artist (your art kind of reminds me of a cross between Leonardo and Bosch.  Looking forward to more!

Thanks,
    Bruce
  •  07-11-2006, 2:14 PM 1302 in reply to 1290

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • New York
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

thanks, Bruce.
    I will make no attempt to shrug off the Da Vinci/Bocsch comparisons, whether or not I can live up to them or not in this life....

Jay

• Report abuse
  •  07-11-2006, 5:49 PM 1320 in reply to 1221

Re: Altar of Art: Another Offering

I AM!

Before the first breath is inhaled and the last breath is exhaled, I AM

Why should this offend you, when you are the same ONE?

I am made of Infinite colors, beyond the random selection of times face

I am born of love's maiden name

The Virgin resides in my loins

I am not tempted to grasp and let go

I am beyond the opposites

I attract those who know the free dancer's mood

Those who know ME know themselves!

When my eyes close I see the same ONE....

When my eyes open I recognize all of the "others" longing....

All desire is my Home....

Whenever I hear love's call I follow

I jump before the precipice is revealed

I have already fallen, therefore my rising is assured

I am the ground and sky of becoming

I am the always/already - the paradox of the real

I Point

I Chastise

I discourage the hopeful

I encourage those who would rather faint

I speak of what always exists

I remain silent with those who know

I tell my secrets only to the dead

When my name is called, I raise my hand

When I am told to sit, I stand

I have already forgotten myself....

But then I am reminded....

Despite everything you call me....

I AM!

Ramana Marharshi
    • Report abuse
  •  07-11-2006, 8:44 PM 1325 in reply to 1320

Re: Altar of Art: Another Offering

About ten years ago, for fun, I wrote a short story, a fable of sorts, about the young Prince Siddhartha....

Now the grounds of the Palace of Sudhodana were vast without measure, so that a day’s ride by horse would not carry one from the East Wall to the West, nor from the Southern Gate to the great tower in the North.  Over the walls grew flowers of all kinds, of sweetest fragrance and hue, amidst which perched peacocks that fluttered and called in the scented breeze from the East, high above even the mango groves and tamarind trees.  From wall to wall in a winding maze wound brooks, amber-colored, full of brilliant fish.  Swift deer leapt the streams, and drank from lotus pools, and sported in the grass.

And it is said that every year the King pushed the wall back by another kosh, so that Siddhartha should never feel confined in his palace life, nor grow bored, nor wonder over much about the world beyond.  And in the early years of his life young Siddhartha never wandered far enough to reach the outer walls, nor grew bored, nor wondered over much about the world beyond the fragrant, singing waters of his garden.  For when he wearied of the palace games and performances, he would of an evening idle by the streams, feeding fish from his hands, following the white tufts of deer leaping in the deepening shadows under the mangos, and feel contented, wandering far till gongs and bells called him back to the palace for dinner.

It was on such an evening that the devas, watching from the heavens, saw that the time had grown ripe – young Siddhartha’s mind having grown still in his wandering, clear and concentrated – and they tumbled from the heavens as parrots, brilliant, five-colored, self-pure.  Once they circled his head, twice, three times they tumbled in a wheel around him, calling out, then flying north toward the palace.  Delighted, young Siddhartha followed them, thinking, “See how ungainly they are, these parrots!  Scarcely can they hold in formation before they tumble apart again!”  Laughing, he ran after them, the bright parrots, five-colored, self-pure.

At length he came to a shaded stream near the northern entrance to the palace, where the birds had settled, near a door he had passed through daily and never paused.  The parrots had settled among the mango branches and were scarcely visible.  Siddhartha sat down by the stream, thinking, “Strange I never stopped here, so near my home.  Namaste, stately mangos.  Namaste, ant kingdom, laboring in the grass.  Namaste, little squirrels…”  And he let his clear gaze fall on the busy workings of this corner of the world under the eave of the door to his home.

And in the amber-colored stream there turned eddies and little whirlpools, turning awhile then gone, and the young prince rested his gaze upon them, grown calm, concentrated, self-clear.  “See how, turning, they remain,” he said to the parrots and mangos above him, and he sprinkled grass on the water.  “See how they don the grass body, and how they shed it again.”  And he gazed clear and calm on the still space where they turned, entering the first absorption, then the second…

And the sky above him pealed like a great bell, the guardians rejoicing, and all their retinue.  And the four corners of the world, from Jambudvipa to Uttarakuru, and from Aparagodana to Purvavideha, all curled up, as a great camp is broken, and silken tents billow and flutter when the stakes are pulled; just so, the 10,000 world systems, uprooted, began to flutter and turn.  And the young prince, unperturbed, unmoved, serene, heard not the singing of the devas, nor heeded the storm of the world as it spun and collapsed under his gaze.  And as dreaming Vishnu himself curled up before him and collapsed in the single sphere, the young prince was as one in a deep sleep, unshakable.

And around him the devas rejoiced, and they sang his praises:

The young prince, self-clear, recollected, still

Does not yet see fully, but in this life,

This life he will…

And the bells pealed around him, and young Siddhartha roused himself and returned to the Palace, not for hunger’s sake – never again – but for the sake of his mother, who missed him still.

May the boundless knowledge that time presents and space allows illuminate the native perspectives of your original face.

• Report abuse
Page 2 of 4 (57 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2006. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help