Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Integral Spiritual Center Foru... » ISC Library and Media Discussi... » Re: Comments on The Universal Catechism

Comments on The Universal Catechism

Last post 10-06-2007, 12:46 PM by pauljohnston. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-05-2007, 11:34 AM 29546

• Harriet is not online. Last active: 11-06-2007, 8:07 AM Harriet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 50

Comments on The Universal Catechism

Please join our discussion of The Universal Catechism. All members of ISC are invited to join the conversation. If you are an ISC member, simply reply to this post with your comments. Not a member of ISC? Visit us and join now!
    • Post Points: 50
    • Report abuse
  •  10-06-2007, 7:43 AM 29581 in reply to 29546

• Castine is not online. Last active: 10-08-2007, 8:30 AM Castine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-20-2006
    • Castine, Maine
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40

Re: Comments on The Universal Catechism

Comments: I just sent a Gratefulness.org e-card of the duck singing to 
    a singer/songwriter friend after viewing The UNIVERSAL CATECHISM at ISC. What
    WONDERFUL dialogue! And it sparked an idea..
    As newly elected senior warden of a small Episcopal Church (named Trinity)
    I have a role to play in the creation of the catechism of which you speak..
    Song is a great vehicle for teaching anything to children so why not provide 
    free links to songs that teach the BIG LOVE TRINITY! (Peter Mayer's
    Birthday Song is one example) I-I could create a Universal Childrenspalooza!
    Listen up I-I, YOU HAVE Stuart Davis! Envision STU's Universe Communion 
    continuing as an OBEDIENCE to childrens songs as a way to reach the Mystery? 
    He could not refuse Father Thomas, Genpo Roshi, Ken Wilber and Brother David
    if they asked it of him? Could he?
    Namaste.

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  10-06-2007, 9:15 AM 29583 in reply to 29546

• Castine is not online. Last active: 10-08-2007, 8:30 AM Castine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-20-2006
    • Castine, Maine
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40

http://in.integralinstitute.org/kw/RECPandWilber07-01C.doc  Ahh, another Gift from Google: "intergralspiritualcenter universal catechism".This second result's pg 8 offers a good four quadrant check-off for formulating childrens' Universal Catechism lyrics. Just find simple I SAID SIMPLE analogies/examples that kids will relate to... remember, those frontal lobes are only developed so far!!!!!!
    • Report abuse
  •  10-06-2007, 12:46 PM 29588 in reply to 29546

• pauljohnston is not online. Last active: 10-06-2007, 8:30 PM pauljohnston
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

A fascinating and timely idea. 

Fr. Thomas's and  Br. David's thoughtful piece should generate a significant reaction in the Integral community since it provides an action-oriented objective for the empowerment of the great religions, without any denigration of their own identities, to evolve into the "conveyor belt," and thereby encourage their followers to make the "great leap" from "ethnocentric amber to worldcentric orange." (see IS by KW p198)  Hats off to Fr. Thomas and Br. David, and to all thinking along these lines!

Another couple of thoughts about this idea: 

A "catechism" can certainly have different "editions" intended for different audiences: for example, young children, more advance children, etc., on up to the sacerdotal level.  For this idea to succeed, it strikes me that several levels would indeed be needed.  An adult-level catechism could be used by a few knowledgable leaders to introduce to the ideas to a corps of potentially interested individuals;  the latter group would be encouraged to bring the concept to others, and especially back into their religious institutions.  The initial education could be done in church groups, through adult education offerings and the like.  Based on observation of the number of publications about religious issues appearing in the popular press, there is currently a great interest in this kind of material.  So, as they say, strike while the iron is hot!  I-I, probably thru the ISC, should take the inititive and get these catechisms written and into print.  But I-I (ISC) needs to do more: it needs to create and implement a "marketing plan" (note to ISC: check in with the Integral Leadership and Business Center folks) to promote and disseminate the catechisms and the timeless truths that they will teach. 

Finally, I happend to google the phrase "The Universal Catechism;" it seems already to be in use, by the Catholic Church.  Perhaps another name choice would be more appropriate: something like The Integral Catechism, The Ecumenical Catechism, The Catechism of World Spirituality, etc.  But whatever it is called, let's get on with it!

Thanks for listening.

• Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help