Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Integral Naked Forums » The Seventh Circle » Re: George Carlin - rebel

George Carlin - rebel

Last post 07-09-2008, 9:30 PM by ambosuno. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-22-2008, 11:21 PM 57040

George Carlin - rebel

George Carlin - rebel without a cause - died. I feel a little sad. He had stamina on stage. He made me cringe and laugh til my sides hurt. He was crude and pain-inducing and a rebel, and I liked a lot of his material. Bye George.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/

LOS ANGELES - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called “Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television.” A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin’s routine were indecent, and that the government’s broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

Carlin’s comedic sensibility often came back to a central theme: humanity is doomed.

“I don’t have any beliefs or allegiances. I don’t believe in this country, I don’t believe in religion, or a god, and I don’t believe in all these man-made institutional ideas,” he told Reuters in a 2024 interview.

Carlin, who wrote several books and performed in many television comedy specials, is survived by his wife Sally Wade, and daughter Kelly Carlin McCall.

Ambo Suno
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  06-26-2008, 9:08 AM 57957 in reply to 57040

Re: George Carlin - rebel

I AGREE HE STIRRED THINGS UP , AS DID RICHARD PRYER.

CARLINS RANT AGAINST RELIGION TOOK MAJOR COURAGE.  I PERSONALLY WONDER IF GEORGE WOULD HAVE DID SOME UPPER LEFT QUADRANT WORK WOULD HIS TAKE ON GOD WOULD HAVE SHIFTED.

PLUS THOSE " I DONT BELIEVE STATEMENTS" IN GOD , COUNTRY ,RELIGION , HOW MUCH WERE THOSE  A DEFENSE, AND A SHADOW ELEMENT TO THE POLLAR OPPOSITE THAT MAYBE GEORGE DID  AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT DID BELIVE IN GOD, COUNTRY, RELIGION BUT THAT IDENTITY OF- GEORGE THE REBEL COMEDIAN- COULD NOT CREATE THE SPACE FOR THOSE PERSPECTIVES.

Bill Kilburg,
    • Report abuse
  •  06-27-2008, 8:29 AM 58372 in reply to 57957

Yes, I'm with you on these points. I think that we may often fight with things that we feel ambivalent about - maybe sometimes our tussles fall into some pre-existing psychoemotional love-hate grooves and templates in us, and though we appear to reject or criticize independently, we are still linked in some psychological or cognitive dependent connection with that against which we are struggling. Something like that sometimes?

On doing the upper left work, that can take a long time, obviously - and sometimes we die before we get loose of our entanglements with and angers at some huge and pervasive life-depleting, life-denying, life-disrupting, life-disrespecting cultural insistances. Maybe there is a biography out; or when it comes out maybe we'll hear of some of the forces, pressures, and contexts that had him grow into that personality and character. Do you know if he ever had a major alcohol or drug dependence himself? Probably, eh?

I saw him a few years ago in advancing age and I was struck by his discipline that must have gone on behind the scenes and the resulting stamina that was called up for his long story-telling riffs and rants, and what, 2 hour pretty much non-stop, high-powered, memorized vocally and gesturally nuanced shows. The guy was a force. This time that I saw him, I semi-smugly thought that I got out almost unscathed (blindspots, denial and deflection of course in full affect in me) by his almost AQAL scale blasting away - and in the final quarter of the show he nailed me on my hair handling and much of what is involved psychologically in trying to compensate and present myself in the world, then and at different stages in my life. ambo

Ambo Suno
    • Report abuse
  •  06-27-2008, 12:36 PM 58482 in reply to 58372

What I like the most about George is this - he owned his awareness. Where many people sail through life interpreting their experiences through the lens of say a lower left orange collective agreement, George lived life by honoring his UL immediate experience, prehensions that many of us do not honor or even notice.

Example: many of us watched the Blues Brothers Band and said, "how neat. They are kind of tight and the glasses are clever and the music is not bad."

George saw it and said: "the blues? Can these guys even begin to appreciate the pain and loneliness and confusion that produced Delta Blues? I don't think so." So he lambasted them and it was funny because we all know there is truth in it.

Same with education:

many of us feel vaguely dissatisfied with the quality of education that our kids get in public schools. It's not bad enough to where we riot in the streets, but it is not good enough to make us dance in the streets."

George looked at it and immediately saw the truth: "our educational system is designed to keep us dumb! Period. They do not want us thinking for ourselves or questioning our role as Consumers." It was funny because we all know it to be true but only George had honored his visceral reaction and put it into words.

George Carlin was a national treasure because he told the truth over and over and over. Bless his Soul.

• Report abuse
  •  07-03-2008, 4:01 PM 60626 in reply to 58482

I loved George Carlin. He was the first comedian I discovered in my youth. I still remember the seven words you can't say on television. George was truley a Modern Man!
    • Report abuse
  •  07-09-2008, 9:30 PM 61952 in reply to 60626

"George was truley a "Modern Man"
    Yes that was another, of so many, excellent power deliveries!

Modern Man. No pretense of being a post-modern man. Solidly, honorably, humanly Modern.

Which phrase leads nicely, such that I'll start another thread after a provocation here, into a cousin in spirit and in revelatory mind-gut bend, and another Modern Man, who died a little over a year ago. Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm picking my way, like a finicky young eater at the distracting dinner table, through a 2024 release of a "collection of twelve writings on two of his most important subjects: war and peace. Written over the course of a lifetime, yet never before published, these pieces represent Vonnegut's unerring opposition to violence, and his rueful assessment of humanity's endless attraction to it." (says the front flap of Armageddon in Retrospect)

I wonder what George and Kurt thought of each other and if they knew each other - my fantasy is that they met, with mutual respect.

I'll place a few provocative pieces here from Wikipedia. Then I'll start a new thread, which I may have to fill out at a later time.

He wrote a lot for my generation, modern times. I think he could be the carrier of a couple of fiercely vulnerable yet supple resilient shoulders on which we have stood towards certain post modern liberations. I think that he has done some serious gnawing away at the psychic boundaries that have afforded us possibilities of breaking through the cultural and the temporo-spacial barriers of convention against which we are still easily swooned into acquiescence. Schitzo-like he was  the wraith-spirits of both Lewis and Clark, poking holes in complacent comfort.

Here:
    "This is a very bad book you're writing," I said to myself."I know," I said."You're afraid you'll kill yourself the way your mother did," I said."I know," I said.Near the end of his life Vonnegut said that his epitaph ought to read: "The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music."

Kurt Vonnegut's experience as a soldier and prisoner of war had a profound influence on his later work. As a Private with the 106th Infantry Division, Vonnegut was cut off from his battalion along with 5 other battalion scouts and wandered behind enemy lines for several days until captured by Wehrmacht troops on December 14, 1944.[9] Imprisoned in Dresden, Vonnegut witnessed the fire bombing of Dresden in February 1945, which destroyed most of the city. Vonnegut was one of a few American prisoners of war in Dresden to survive, in their cell in an underground meat locker of a slaughterhouse that had been converted to a prison camp. The administration building had the postal address Schlachthof Fünf (Slaughterhouse Five) which the prisoners took to using as the name for the whole camp. Vonnegut recalled the facility as "Utter destruction", "carnage unfathomable." The Germans put him to work gathering bodies for mass burial. "But there were too many corpses to bury. So instead the Nazis sent in troops with flamethrowers. All these civilians' remains were burned to ashes."[10] This experience formed the core of one of his most famous works, Slaughterhouse-Five, and is a theme in at least six other books.[10]

Vonnegut was freed by Red Army troops in May 1945. Upon returning to America, he was awarded a Purple Heart for what he called a "ludicrously negligible wound,"[11] later writing in Timequake that he was given the decoration after suffering a case of "frostbite".[12]

In his book Bagombo Snuff Box: Uncollected Short Fiction, Vonnegut listed eight rules for writing a short story:

1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
    2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
    3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
    4. Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
    5. Start as close to the end as possible.
    6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
    7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
    8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

Vonnegut qualifies the list by adding that Flannery O'Connor broke all these rules except the first, and that great writers tend to do that.

Ambo Suno
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help