Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Everyone Deserves Music

Last post 09-27-2006, 2:10 PM by inmanagingeditor. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-09-2006, 6:08 PM 1216

Everyone Deserves Music

Music is a huge part of my life that has deeply affected me in many ways.

I suspect the same holds true for many others in this community.  So, I'd love to hear what other's experiences of music are, and will start this thread off with a blog post I did a little over a month ago.  just went to shows 3&4 last weekend, number 5 is coming up!  

Everything has changed, absolutely nothings changed.......

That's not the line from "Corduroy". But it should be. I went to my first of hopefully five Pearl Jam shows last night. Yup, you read that right, FIVE. A new record. Even for me. And it was with another Ten Club member at that. It couldn't have been a better night. I love Pearl Jam. I really do. On so many levels. Why do I love Pearl Jam?
    • They're sustainable
    • Everything they do is for their fans
    • They've never stopped growing (and me along with them)
    • They treat rock and roll as revolution
    • they're a classic rock band, not just an alternative one
    I actually don't listen to Pearl Jam albums that much. During off season, months will usually pass in which I don't put on a single record of theirs. In the back of my mind, I know how good they are and that they'll always be there. So I start to take them for granted, and slowly start to forget.

Then, they'll release an album. I love when they release albums, because its one of the few times in my life I can definitively say, 'on this day my life will be changed forever'. Not changed in any major way, but in a measurable way. Now when I do listen to PJ, I can choose from X numbers of albums, one more than before!

Ten I bought at Best Buy, in 8th grade. Vitalogy I got for Xmas in 8th grade. VS. I got around Easter in 8th grade.

I got No Code when I was a sophomore. My mother and I went to the DMV to get my learners permit, and I stopped at Tower Records next door. I had been listening to "Who You Are" on repeat nearly the entire month before that.

Yield I got in '98, when I was a Junior. I was working at CompUSA at the time, which closed at 9. Thus to get it that first day, I had to have my mom pick it up before she got me from work.

Binaural was in 2024. I was in Southern California, that Urban wasteland of highways and roads. Jessica Wickum had to drive me to Best Buy to pick it up.

Riot Act was fall of 2024. I got it at Streetlight Records on Pacific Avenue in Santa Cruz, on my way to one of my very first staff meetings at the group home.

Pearl Jam [Self-Titled], I pre-ordered through the ten club. It technically arrived on April 29th, but I didn't get it until the 30th when Mike Arens picked me up for the airport and we rolled back to Boulder.

Now, back to what really matters. No two shows are ever alike. No setlist is ever the same. Their catalogue is so huge there's no way it could be. Songs are always played differently, the band always sounds differently, the energy of the room is always unique, my seats are always different, daughter/betterman usually have unique tags, and you never know who'll they'll cover or what famous rockstar will show up on stage with them.

Yet, every Pearl Jam show is also exactly the same.  I know the structure of the show and what it will be like: eddie drinking a bottle of wine, length generally between 2-3 hours, 3 sets, last one always ends with a rocking cover, and then Yellow Ledbetter. And then me walking out in a daze. State experience indeed.

Everytime I go to a Pearl Jam show, I'm a completely different person.  Years go by between Pearl Jam tours, and often months between shows. I've seen them at Soldier Field with Steve when I was hardly pubescent........Madison Square Garden with Matt in New York......St. Louis with Lorne.........Indianapolis with Seth................San Francisco on Halloween with liz, shawn, and mark........Ed at the Tibetin Freedon concert..........acoustic with ben harper at the Bridge School Benefit........Santa Barbara for the re-unification of Temple of the Dog after driving 6 hours straight with Matt, and of course, the United Center with Kelly.

Everytime I go to a show, I'm re-living those moments. I am those moments, I am inhabit all those selves at once:
    I'm Jason at a Pearl Jam show, having the best time in my life.

But I'm also not. I'm different. I've grown. I've changed. I've deepened my awareness since, and hopefully cultivated myself into a better human being. I have new memories, new pains, new regrets, new stresses, new joys. I even look different physically.

Then suddenly, when those lights go down, that all falls away. I fall away. I'm living that same moment I've lived a thousand times before. It IS the same moment as all those times before. I simply Am. That's the thing about Pearl Jam shows for me, when I'm there, I feel it, I get it. All those meditations and practices make sense. I just AM. I settle in I amness. The moment that lasts forever and never goes away......never changes........the past, the present, and the future.......are ALL just one big pearl jam show.

Everything has changed, absolutely nothings changed. Impermanence and Permanence. Maybe you get it, maybe you don't. either way, i hope you have something in your life that affects you in similar ways.

Jason "I've changed by not changing at all" Lange

I'm thinkin' of something orange. Something orange. Give up? It's an orange.
    • Post Points: 50
    • Report abuse
  •  07-22-2006, 10:15 AM 1757 in reply to 1216

Re: Everyone Deserves Music

Hi Jason

Thanks for starting this thread.  In my next post I will make some general comments about the role of music in my life.  Later I may add more specific comments about particular musicians or songs.  BTW I've never been into Pearl Jam - can't think of a single song offhand - but reading your description I feel quite intrigued!  Is there something in particular you'd recommend for a PJ newbie?  Maybe the next time I'm in Zulu records, my favorite local record store where you can listen to everything for sale (new or used CD's) at listening stations, I'll give PJ a few spins and see if anything resonates with me.

arthur
    I am seeking meaningful work.

bio: http://aqalicious.gaia.com/

I spend most of my "forum time" these days on The Integral Pod: http://pods.gaia.com/ii/

"You've never seen everything." - Bruce Cockburn
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-22-2006, 10:21 AM 1759 in reply to 1757

Music has played an important role in my life, helping me to define and recall the states and stages I've moved through over time. When I listen to songs I played at a certain period of my life, my heart and mind touch base with that time again, sometimes in a very vivid way. Long ago I became aware of the fact that, whenever I am moving into a new stage of my life, sooner or later I find new music, which then further defines the new period of my life. Upon realizing this, I began to use this fact quite deliberately; if I find myself in the turmoil of transition, I will begin to deliberately look for new music. Often, if the change involves a new person in my life, I will seek to know and be involved with music that person enjoys, which also helps me to resonate with them and get to know them more deeply. Conversely, if I need to touch base with a person or a period in my life, or a particular quality or aspect of my consciousness, I will play music that resonates with that.

That quality of music, helping connect me with various aspects of my being on an intuitive, feeling, non-rational level, has long been a source of fascination to me - particularly as I am someone who has tended to lock myself up in my headquarters and treat my body like a meat puppet (which has changed a lot over many years, but that's where I'm coming from, and is still a strong tendency).

As for association with states, music played during altered states can strongly bring back a feeling tone of the experience, and helps to anchor and integrate it with the rest of my life. Two notable examples are: chants that were sung during Ayahuasca sessions in Peru several years ago, and songs played in workshops with Robert Augustus Masters.

One more aspect of music I'll mention is the lyrical content; I love music that really speaks to me on a cerebral level as well, particularly if it has a strong spiritual content or speaks deeply to me of some significant aspect of the human experience (e.g. love, loss, longing). Three of the most beloved singers for me in this way are Bruce Cockburn, Stuart Davis, and Leonard Cohen. 

arthur

I am seeking meaningful work.

bio: http://aqalicious.gaia.com/

I spend most of my "forum time" these days on The Integral Pod: http://pods.gaia.com/ii/

"You've never seen everything." - Bruce Cockburn
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  07-25-2006, 10:02 AM 1932 in reply to 1757

Arthur, I sure can recommend some stuff.  Some good introductory albums to get a feel for the band's amazing range (everything from fast punk to slow ballads) would be VS. , No Code, and Lost Dogs.

Some of their major influences are Neil Young, The Who, The Ramones, The Clash, and such.  So there is defnitely some fast hard punk style rock in their collection, but also plenty of more acoustic goodies. 

Just got myself a ticket to see them play with U2 in hawaii this winter, sweet!

I'm thinkin' of something orange. Something orange. Give up? It's an orange.
    • Report abuse
  •  07-27-2006, 12:26 AM 2145 in reply to 1216

I like music too.  Here's some of "mine" for y'all. (from www.djrekluse.com)

[right-click link to download]

Belle (dj rekluse rekalibration)

first time i have ever actually created beats - the original is a real mellow folk tune; i brought it into the sensory deprivation tank.  Check out the video here

Another Brick in the Wall Part 1

Massive Attack vs. Pink Floyd

DJ Shadow and Aphex Twin - Acrid Steam

two of the most influential songs in my musical development - imagine my delight when i played them at the same time, and they blended so perfectly! i love it when *** like that happens - sonic synchronicity......

Blackalicious and Black Eyed Peas - Where is the Sky?

without love, there's only apocalypse...

Blackalicious and Nas - Make You Feel That Way...

a precious reminder of why we get out of bed in the morning...

The Roots and DJ Shadow - Thought Donor...

you'll hear a little of my scratching at the very end... i recorded this a few years ago, which is why it sucks =)

Pink Floyd meets The Orb meets Morpheus - Down the Rabbit Hole...

this is the red pill. take at your own risk.

The Vast Expanse

DJ Shadow meets Alex Grey

So Stale, So Dirty

Outkast and Aphex Twin

Oh rekluse Where Art Thou

Roni Size meets the Soggy Bottom Boys

Hip Hop Mix 1

Lyrics Born, Jurassic 5, EPMD, Nice and Smooth, and Latyrx

Hip Hop Mix 2

Lifesavas, Schoolz of Thought, Mission, Blackalicious, Talib Kweli, Hieroglyphics, Del the Funky Homosapien, Tribe Called Qwest, Supernatural feat. Dilated Peoples,Souls of Mischief, Black Eyed Peas (warning - large file, about 35 megs - well worth the wait.)

Corey W. deVos (dj rekluse)
    Brand Manager, Integral Naked
    Audio Manager, Integral Institute
    Managing Editor, KenWilber.com
  •  07-29-2006, 1:26 PM 2364 in reply to 1216

• vairachna is not online. Last active: 06 Aug 2024, 12:28 AM vairachna
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2006
    • Mackenbach, Germany
    • Posts 16
    • Points 330

Alright! I just deleted what I wrote. Perhaps, there should still be a brief asking of forgiveness as I enter this new forum, but that simply isn't good enough.

Not all people deserve music. I was in the local band scene in Wichita, KS and know from experience that there are several people who take life from the wrong angles. These people do not need to be making music and ultimately need to live in deep solitude before they commit theirselves, to the blatant patheticness that begetts begging and whining. Harsh? Yes, I am. This is what I always was and always will be, I know. You aren't named Dreamcrusher without reason and history.

There are many bands that can fulfill and enrich peoples lives. For example: Neurosis, Nine Inch Nails and a few more. Transcendental dance and experience is a great part of my being, and excepting mediocre wisdom and input is not needed in this world of infinite possibilities.

Let me stop before I anger anyone else,

Ulzo

Sorry further response canceled due to Ragnarok.
    • Report abuse
  •  07-31-2006, 10:01 PM 2674 in reply to 2364

Well, okay, i agree with you that not everybody deserves to make music--i have, after all, seen the Salamone brothers play in Paul's basement.

But surely we can agree that everybody deserves to have music in their lives in some way.... i mean, even Manson was a Beatles fan....

•  08-06-2006, 7:55 AM 3511 in reply to 2674

• vairachna is not online. Last active: 06 Aug 2024, 12:28 AM vairachna
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2006
    • Mackenbach, Germany
    • Posts 16
    • Points 330

I am sorry, but Manson had a great folk band.

And what I was saying is that certain people shouldn't even be able to listen to music because it encourages their annoying behavior. I know I am sounding like on old fogey to myself with the kids and their korn and the little emo bastards wanting to kiss girls... HAHAHAHA I am kidding, kind of, but seriously I am alot meaner than I should be.

Sorry further response canceled due to Ragnarok.
    • Report abuse
  •  08-22-2006, 7:57 PM 5016 in reply to 2145

• geomo is not online. Last active: 03-14-2007, 1:33 PM geomo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-21-2006
    • Fairfax, VA
    • Posts 179
    • Points 3,300

Corey, downloaded your Pink Floyd remixes the other night. (I'm a long time PF fan..."Dark Side of the Moon" is one of the best all time rock albums...musicianship, song writing, lyrics, production, and it is a true album as opposed to a collection of songs...wish more artists did stuff like that these days) I played the Orb remix while meditating that night. It was a good setting. Thanks for that.

Also, I want to plug Rob MacMullan, my friend's music.
    I can't promise that you'll like his style, but I love it. He's a gifted singer and musician, and just as talented a writer.

Keith
    Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart. -unknown
    • Report abuse
  •  09-02-2006, 10:44 AM 6528 in reply to 2145

• rondelr is not online. Last active: 12-23-2006, 6:59 AM rondelr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2006
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hey Corey, these music gems aren't available now - what's happened I wonder? I really want to hear Roni Size meets the Soggy Bottom Boys - that could be a little ticket to heaven....
    • Report abuse
  •  09-27-2006, 2:10 PM 9606 in reply to 6528

Is it working now for you?  Seems to work for me....

© Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help