Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Ken in NYC

Last post 09-16-2006, 7:26 PM by rosecpw. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-12-2006, 6:35 PM 7690

Ken in NYC

We need to share with the international community a We-space experience of incomperable beauty, truth and goodness that took place this past weekend with Ken's appearance in New York City.  Those of us who were able to taste even a bit of it have been sharing the effects, immediate and lasting, of Ken's presence and our WE-presencing/sharing amongst ourselves, but I believe that is a disservice to the others if we do not let them know what we all felt and shared. 

I hope this thread will encourage those of us who have wanted to tell others about what happened, internally, externally, singularly and collectively, to do so with a receptive audience; not to cause regret in those who could not attend, but to enable so, so many other integral souls to know that this experience exists, that with the coming together of those surfing the Integral wave we can disseminate at the very least the cognitive essence with you. I know that some took pictures, others have written far more artfully and communicatively than I.  I'll see if others wish to begin this thread before I share my experience.

With love to you All,

Lynne

• Post Points: 110
    • Report abuse
  •  09-12-2006, 8:09 PM 7697 in reply to 7690

Re: Ken in NYC

integrallynne:

I'll see if others wish to begin this thread before I share my experience.

Lynne,

I was not there but I am an "other" and I do wish for you and whoever else was there to begin this thread!

So, I just wanted to put my vote in. The way you are describing it has me somewhat on the edge of my seat/computer desk chair . . .Geeked [8-|]

Peace, Tim

"With whom or with what are you in communion at this moment?"
    . . ."I?" he replied, almost mechanically. "Why not with anyone or anything."
    "You must be a marvel . . . if you are able to continue in that state for long."
    -Constantin Stanislavsky
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  09-13-2006, 1:00 PM 7745 in reply to 7697

Thanks, Tim.  I would be offering jut my perspective, and I am hoping that this permits the multiple perspectives to shine here and add robustness to the event...

Ken, as y'all know, is in some extreme pain from his recent fall, yet his love for Traleg Rinpoche led him to honor this commitment to join him for a discussion on where Eastern and Western Enlightenment meet today, presented by the E-VAM organization.  The M.C. was Ken's long-time close friend and publisher, Sam Burkholtz of Shambhala Books.

I cannot recount all of their statements nor pick up the Q & A very well, since I stared and absorbed more than I wrote in notes, but here are some sketchy notes, from this dialogue that ensued with brief statements from the two followed by a few questions from the 300 folks in attendance at the beautiful Ethical Culture auditorium in NYC right off Central Park West...

--In today's society governed by postModern cynicism and irony, there is a studied avoidance of finding deeper, more mutual understanding of the Ultimate Understanding. ALL answers to the UltimateQuestion are now on the table to be discussed.

--What can you trust to look for, for truth? Post-modernism has left people with a profound distrust, smoke and ruins.  You are not allowed to trust yourself, some judgments more, and some judgments lesse.  We are governed by Irony, where what we say, we actually mean the opposite.  "Nice tie", can no longer be presumed to be a compliment, but rather a put-down.  You can no longer say, "THIS is morally right", or "This is true" in today's atmosphere and culture.  We have been left with a vast wasteland.  So what are we left with?

Some of us as the great wisdom traditions indicate, go directly into the nature of your mind and self.  But even here we are in a bind today--we can't have a spiritual Teacher today; Postmodernism has left us with a mere Spiritual "friend".  So what forms of judgment CAN you trust today?

--Does meditation help or hurt dealing with neurosis?  It is not much help at dealing with Shadow, which many spiritual traditions now admit.  Interior structures have been studied by the Western sciences such as psychology, and they can ferret out the disowned facets of self which become projected onto others.  But many folks think that meditation will leave you walking around blissed out all the time, which can really lead to dissociated anger or suppressed anger.

end of p. 1 for my notes.  I will do more later, I have 7 pages in all, and I doubt anyone wants a total transcript, so if anyone wants to know something specific, perhaps a more emotional explanation of the events, let us know.

Lynne

• Report abuse
  •  09-13-2006, 5:13 PM 7757 in reply to 7745

Thanks so much Lynne.

Maybe others are being shy? I am seriously interested in whatever else you might be willing to share. But especially the emotional side. Your first post seemed like it had that "wow, couldn't even begin to explain . . .I will never forget this" feeling behind it.Smile [:)]  I am very interested in Traleg Rimpoche as well as "what it was like to be with Ken . . ."Wink [;)] This is exciting stuff. And any 1st person account of the event helps to really put a human face and feel on what we are a part of here, and/or trying to be a part of and accomplish . . . or just, celebrate!Party!!! [<:o)]

From you notes, here an example

We are governed by Irony, where what we say, we actually mean the opposite.  "Nice tie", can no longer be presumed to be a compliment, but rather a put-down.

Do you have any idea how long I have been lamenting the very same thing -in almost the very same exact words! Rain in the desert!

To know that someone is out there holding a special workshop just to saysomething like that!? As the Christians are fond of saying, Hallelujah!

. . . and that really is a nice tie.Big Smile [:D]

Peace, Tim

"You must be a marvel . . . if you are able to continue in that state for long."
    -Constantin Stanislavsky
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  09-13-2006, 6:22 PM 7761 in reply to 7690

I too would love to here more about the event.

I also want to add my sad story of the fact that my absence from the internet world (never trust someone else to arrange for the internet to be set up when you move!) led to me missing out on an invitation to attend an intimate meeting with KW in my area on Monday.  I got into my email yesterday (Tuesday) to see the invitation and sat around for a while babbling to myself.  It's ok, I can let it go, but I have so many questions and thoughts I'd love to share with him, and it's not like he visits the Boston area often...

Anyway, so I would definitely like to hear about your experiences Lynne, and others if they choose to share as well.

Thanks!

Peace, Love, and Bicycles
    Turtle
    (now living on top of a hill right near a castle instead of at the bottom of a hill behind a castle...  the Boston area is so architecturally interesting!)
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  09-13-2006, 8:53 PM 7767 in reply to 7761

I am glad to hear that ken had the energy to hold a meeting in Boston, but saddened that youo missed it, Turtle.  I would love to hear an account from the Boston-area folks about what transpired there, and I will include the emotional and LL aspects of the weekend, tho my time is limited, and I'll have to divide this retelling up over several posts...

Several fascinating points were discussed about dissociated vs. represed anger, and when fear is an inauthentic emotion.  Ken explained that there is a THREAT ZONE around the ego, and when it encounters Anger, it can deeply bury it and the emotion that is recognized is Fear, which would be an inauthentic sesnsing.  Een when encountering positive feelings that you cannot accept about yourself, it is projected outside of Ego to a 2nd person or an IT.  he mentioned Retrofunction but I didn't write more on this interesting concept.

I then went out for a late late late night dinner with 2 I-I staffers whom I just love, Liz and Kate, and my partner at the NYC salon Joanne, and the incredibly experienced and loving Beena.  The dinner conversation opened up into deep sharing and self-discovery, and as I drove the hour home at about 2:30 a.m., I had several shifts of consiousness that led to resolutions for 2 difficult problems I had been facing.  Exhausted, I basically passed out and awoke the next morning ready to return to traleg and Ken...

Folks were quite interested in continuing conversations around Shadow projection and. Dreams. Shadow projection is where we lie to ourselves, the disowned parts of ourselves.  These Shadow elements come thru into our dreams as Monsters, where we feel into the fear but never get in touch with the deeper, truer emotion that we fear to feel.

Ken especially suggested 1st Person dialoguing with this Authentic emotion, such as the anger we may be splitting off into fear, or fear if it is indeed the deeper, truer emotion, and by doing so, TRANSMUTE it into Basic clarity, true WISDOM.  We must OWN the Basic emotion in order to transcend it, to transmute the emotion, which religious traditions have eellent practices in.  We must galvanize our sense of SELF so as NOT to be afraid of our emotions, since having problems does not mean we are a bad person.

Another thread of quesions concerned the Myth of the Given, and that led to a discussion of how our understanding of our childhood traumas is more important than what really happens.  He returned again to explaining authentic vs. inauthentic emotions, with Anger projected on another comes back as inauthentic reactive FEAR; LOVE projected on another is reactively sensed as awe, and it is inauthentic love.  Passion is inauthentic when it substitutes for the true sensing of resentment, or envy; depression is self-repression, self-induced,  lies to ourselves to hide a more terrifying truth.  Thus, spirituality can be used to undermine the substructure that supports these negative emotions......

And then it was time for meals.  17 of us tromped onto Broadway and had a marvelous time together at Sushi-a-go-go, an unlikely name for a delicious meal where we touched repeatedly in conversations that were every bit as satisfying as teh meals before us...something about Integral conversations about the simplest things, they are configured differently, not about the lingo we use, but the consciousness being shared, holding the vessel so naturally for all to share, for all to swirl higher and higher even as we giddily joked or delved into professional interests, it just tasted so different...

Tomorrow: Stages of Enlightenment and the magic of Sunday.

Lynne

• Report abuse
  •  09-13-2006, 9:15 PM 7770 in reply to 7690

• aorte132 is not online. Last active: 02-09-2008, 4:56 AM aorte132
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2006
    • NYC
    • Posts 7
    • Points 300

I couldn't agree more with you Lynne. I was fortunate enough to have experienced Ken 2 out of the 3 days he was in New York, even though I regret not having shared moree time with him on Friday (the opening session) and late Saturday (book signing, I still have an unsigned copy of Integral Spirituality sitting by my bedside as I'm writing this ;-) ) I taped most of the events I was present at, so I can go back and transcribe verbatim some of the excellent material Ken covered. I haven't listened to all th recordings just yet, but a lot of the material is fresh on the mind.

I will begin a series of posts with the different sections and questions Ken presented and addressed along with some remarks and questions I couldn't get answered because of the overwhelming response, curiosity and exciement present in the atmosphere. These collections of posts will take a couple of days or weeks to develop, but I certainly want to be a thorough and descriptive of the amazing shared experience, teachings and integral vision set forth by Ken.

So let us begin,

The directions to the first event on Saturday where easy to find and locate ( not so much so for the Sunday session, but more on that later ). The location was amazing. The auditorium where the dialogue took place had a big X crossing from side to side ( on the ceiling ). The stage looked peaceful and aesthetic. One down side ( of both this session and the one on Sunday ) was the sound system: there were many problems hearing Ken, and in more than one ocassion the dialogue had to stop due to echo problems, sound loss or any other malfunction. This visibly frustrated the audience since some of these technical difficulties occured right on the climax of a conversation or a revelation by Ken. The audience will sigh in one breath as if the best moment, the apex had been lost forever: a moment never to be repeated. What amazed me in the middle of all this was Ken's reaction to the situation: He will withdraw into what he called "Delta" (triggering Delta waves in the occipital cortex has been correlated to spiritual experiences and Ken can achieve this at WILL ! ). So as soon as the sound failed he would change his posture, join his hands in meditative position and close his eyes and be gone! ... until he felt or realized the sound had come back again. This would be an ongoing process since there would be times he would get out of this Delta brain state and be ready to talk, but the sound would go off again, in which case he went through the Delta motions again. Another amazing thing about Ken is that he will pick up the dialogue almost in the exact word he left off, in the precise sentence: like a stream of uninterrupted consciousness flowing through his body: it is the closest I have ever seen somebody literally "pausing" in their thought and pressing "play" to continue the conversation, it was awesome.

There were some opening remarks by the MC, which seemed to be very concerned with Traleg Rinpoche participating ( this was the case because everybody was just so eager to listen to Ken speak that the audience would silently ask for more Ken participation instead of Traleg Rinpoche. His english was a bit poor, this added to the sound problems, made the audience a bit unease at best and wating more of Ken .. however there was loving embrace in the atmosphere and attention to what Traleg Rinpoche had to say, he said some pretty amazing things and he displayed so much grace and humor as a human being, exhilarating), and then Ken welcomed everybody to the session and passed it on to Traleg Rinpoche who pretty much welcomed the audience as well and set the stage for the conversation.

This will be al for this post. I will listen to this first session on audio in order to more accurately describe what was said.

The format of posts from now on will be:

1. Day/Session
    a) First person account of things
    b) Presentation/Question by Ken
    c) Presentation/Question by Traleg Rinpoche
    d) Summary and own thoughts and questions/reaction to the talk

So far I have completed a first person account to the Friday session, more to come

Have an excellent day everybody

ND
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 12:09 PM 7825 in reply to 7770

marquis? (i hope i got your name right)

thanks for your first post and your intention to post more. i don't know why, but you're the first person other than lynne, who i imagine has alot of other things to do, to report here on the events of last weekend.

ralph

• Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 6:24 PM 7856 in reply to 7767

This is great you guys. Just the little bits you have shared has already hit me with tremendous insights. Both of you. So please keep sharing. It's literally like being there . . . I went to sleep last night with a heart full of joy after just reading your posts.

-Constantin Stanislavsky
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 6:29 PM 7858 in reply to 7770

I am so happy now!!  I agree with Ralph, and this is JUST what I had hoped would happen, that those who were there would contribute their perspectives and transcripts so that others would be able to know/feel what we experienced.  I am really happy that this is now  in process.

I wanted to add a bit about Saturday eve at Tibet House, where the book signings occurred.  Tibet House is one of my favorite venues, asplash with changing collections of Tibetan art which laugh aloud with vibrancy and create joy, wonder and reverence in the recipients of their splendor.  The exhibition was quite rich in numbers this month with 2 rows of the most splendid Tibetan oils, and by the far left side was a platform.  Traleg sat on one side, Ken sat next to the platform on the other with Colin, his  friend/assistant, at his side.  And for hours Ken was FULLY PRESENT with each person after person after person who presented him with books to sign, a story to tell, a hug to be shared.  I wound up in a meditative state witnessing his continuous presencing, and by the end I was in tears.  My heart cracked open and the glare from within felt intolerable. To feel such a flow, surge of overwhelming love, gratitude, in that space with subtle energies coursing around the group, with Ken who was using every spare ounce of energy to give and receive, the power of human existence, the guests' glow upon being with him and sharing with him, OUR journey, as he stated, from "alone to ALONE".......

I really can't say more since upon reflection it can come off as over-the-top, but that is my perspective, and that is who I am.

Thanks for receiving .

Lynne

• Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 7:23 PM 7861 in reply to 7761

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to mention that Ken did NOT meet with us in Boston. He was just too wiped out and his body couldn't function. It was terribly dissapointing for all of us, but we all shared the feeling that we were glad that he was taking care of himself. And he sent us a very nice email message, which was something ;)

Glad to hear that NY was a great experience for so many!
    There are two types of conversations worth having; those about the deepest things, and gossip!
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 7:29 PM 7863 in reply to 7858

Hi,

I was there all weekend and part  of Mon.  It was an incredible expereince. Not just Ken, Rinpoche and Eddie (who were all phenomenal); but also getting to SoHo, Canal St., Broadway, riding the trains, talking to people who had been there 5 yrs. ago when the towers were hit.  One of the most empowering experiences of my "new" life ("old" life too, for that matter!).  I hope to be getting my pics back tomorrow and will try to post some if anyone's interested.  I wish I had been able to attend the reception, but it just wasn't in this months budgetSad [:(].

Blessings to all,

Chris

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 9:37 PM 7874 in reply to 7690

Dear Lynne:  Thank you so much for the report and  the contributing others also.  I am exhausted and will finish reading tomorrow.  Your accounts are wonderful and it is so appreciated, as others have mentioned.  Wondering if you were at Ground Zero on The Day.  If so that must have resonated.

I could only bring myself to watch one show on 9/11 and it was PBS and what many speakers thought of God after the horror.  I thought it was just so good and can get a tape if  can work it into

my todo list.  Ken or somebody should be interviewed in these kinds of programs.  PBS also had a whole series on Spirituality and Religion and Pema Chodran and other familiar names were interviewed for several weeks.  There is a tape on that also and it was recent.  I did not watch the whole thing and again it seems that some one should be on these programs to represent Integral.  I

would be more positive and try to do more here but that is not possible right now.

Back to NYC.  How valuable to have the tapes.  Again something I would like to work with

but cannot now.  Maybe Yotam could find the right person to copy them and we could purchase.

They may have already thought of this in CD form and send if one is signed up for that deal

or if we want them.

I am so happy to be able to read about this and feel so helpless and scared about Ken and the

health problems.  Sounds like he is trying.  The body never lies and my mother used to say it is

natures' way so getting us on our back to rest.  And she was talking about bad colds. Thanks again

Pattye

• Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 9:37 PM 7875 in reply to 7690

Dear Lynne:  Thank you so much for the report and  the contributing others also.  I am exhausted and will finish reading tomorrow.  Your accounts are wonderful and it is so appreciated, as others have mentioned.  Wondering if you were at Ground Zero on The Day.  If so that must have resonated.

I could only bring myself to watch one show on 9/11 and it was PBS and what many speakers thought of God after the horror.  I thought it was just so good and can get a tape if  can work it into

my todo list.  Ken or somebody should be interviewed in these kinds of programs.  PBS also had a whole series on Spirituality and Religion and Pema Chodran and other familiar names were interviewed for several weeks.  There is a tape on that also and it was recent.  I did not watch the whole thing and again it seems that some one should be on these programs to represent Integral.  I

would be more positive and try to do more here but that is not possible right now.

Back to NYC.  How valuable to have the tapes.  Again something I would like to work with

but cannot now.  Maybe Yotam could find the right person to copy them and we could purchase.

They may have already thought of this in CD form and send if one is signed up for that deal

or if we want them.

I am so happy to be able to read about this and feel so helpless and scared about Ken and the

health problems.  Sounds like he is trying.  The body never lies and my mother used to say it is

natures' way so getting us on our back to rest.  And she was talking about bad colds. Thanks again

Pattye

• Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 9:37 PM 7876 in reply to 7690

or if we want them.

Pattye

• Report abuse
Page 1 of 2 (20 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2006. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help