Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Open Nippon

Last post 03-03-2007, 5:53 AM by Daibhidh. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-11-2007, 10:20 PM 19268

Open Nippon

I've heard that in recent Japan the same family might go to a Shinto temple for their "baptism"/ infant's ceremonies, to a Catholic church for their weddings, and to a Zen temple for their funerals.

Might this be a stage appropriate ceremonializing ?

If so, are there further examples ?

kcd

'takes all kinds.
  •  03-02-2007, 5:56 AM 19871 in reply to 19268

Re: Open Nippon

I suppose people of no-religion going to a church to get married by a priest or minister is an example of stage appropriate ceremonializing.  Perhaps delving deeper (or thinking about it to much) an aethiest attending his friends wedding within a church.  Perhaps this is stage appropiate partaking? ;)
  •  03-02-2007, 8:37 PM 19937 in reply to 19871

Daibhidh,

While there are so many variables in the development of a person, looking at the broadest of general patterns that can be considered universal throughout humanity, I wondered if, or not, that fairly recent pattern noticed in Japan might point to an appropriate, congruent embrace of ritual across the conventional divides of formal religion.

Or, is that recent practice merely an egalitarian Green approach, from within a culture with highly developed aesthetic lines, to an aesthetic appeal of the available ceremonies ?

If it is, then I would say that this non-committed, uninitiated exercise is more a liability than an asset, coming not from the Divine gift of freedom but from superficial liberty.

However, if this practice is a genuine, if intuited, response to the Stage(s) at which the celebrated person(s) are likely at or near durring the ceremony, then I would expect to find that more examples of this timely engagement of available ceremonies exist.

Likewise, if a healthy congruence is revealed, I can imagine a mature culture routinely harmonizing the person with the practice by virtue of a recognition of what we all have in common.

Be well,

kcd 

'takes all kinds.
  •  03-02-2007, 9:30 PM 19946 in reply to 19937

I just came across material related to this thread in Outside Feeds, above, (kenwilber.com).

The link is to "Who wrote this?", and the piece is entitled,"Culture, Ethnicity, and Typology within the Integral Framework".

kcd

'takes all kinds.
  •  03-03-2007, 5:53 AM 19957 in reply to 19946

Alright!  I have caught your drift and shall mull this over for a day or two.

Indeed, I shall visit the piece of literature mentioned above.

Cheers.
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help