Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Are you a New Ager?

Last post 03-03-2007, 6:09 AM by jwcargile. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-17-2007, 7:14 AM 19436

Are you a New Ager?

A column for newspapers next week...

Are you a New Age believer?

If I were to poll readers on their beliefs, how many people would adhere to certain precepts as those of the New Age?

Some studies say twenty percent of the American population fit into New Age in at least one or more aspects of what we have learned as New Age beliefs.

Here’s what one writer says New Agers believe. Do you fit into any one or more of these groupings?

“New Age promotes the development of the person's own power or divinity,” says Mary Adamson in attempting to define New Age. “When referring to God, a follower of New Age is not talking about a transcendent, personal God who created the universe, but is referring to a higher consciousness within themselves. A person in New Age would see themselves as God, the cosmos, the universe. In fact, everything that the person sees, hears, feels or imagines is to be considered divine.

“New Age teaches a wide array of eastern mysticism and spiritual, metaphysical and psychic techniques, such as breathing exercises, chanting, drumming, meditating...to develop an altered consciousness and one's own divinity.

“Anything negative a person experiences (failures, sadness, anger, selfishness, hurt) is considered an illusion. Believing themselves to be completely sovereign over their life, nothing about their life is wrong, negative or painful. Eventually a person develops spiritually to the degree that there is no objective, external reality. A person, becoming a god, creates their own reality.”

While admitting much to what New Age offers, labeling a person’s spirituality is a slippery slope at best. How best to answer the question, “Are you a New Age believer?” causes quite a stir in the Christian community.

What if you believe that all humanity – indeed all of life, everything in the Universe – is spiritually interconnected, participating in the same energy? God is one name for this energy? You would be a New Ager.

What if you believe the human mind has deep levels and vast powers, which are capable even of overriding physical reality? You create your own reality, in other words. You are a New Ager.

The individual has a purpose here on earth, in the present surroundings, because there is a lesson to learn? The most important lesson is love? You are a New Ager.

Jesus would have been a New Ager today because this is what he taught. Are you a New Age believer? “I and my Father are One, as you and I are One.” Interconnectedness, yes! “And you will even do greater things than I.”

John W. Cargile, Msc.D, D.D. is a licensed ordained minister through International Metaphysical Ministries and a graduate of Samford University (1969). E-books, reference material and study programs are now available at his website www.21stcenturyministries.com For those with special prayer needs, call Unity’s prayer line at 1-800-669-7729. You can contact him at jwcargile@charter.net. All conversations are confidential.

JC
    33° 13' N 87° 37' W
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  03-02-2007, 3:20 AM 19863 in reply to 19436

Re: Are you a New Ager?

"What if you believe that all humanity – indeed all of life, everything in the Universe – is spiritually interconnected, participating in the same energy? God is one name for this energy? You would be a New Ager"

Then I guess by that definition I would have to raise my hands above my head and surrender: I am indeed a New Ager.

But surely not of these by-definition qualities used to describe a persons beliefs are anything particulary new?  I mean, the view of spiritual interconnection and univeral conciousness is, in many cases, much older than so-called traditional belief practices.

Could I and others who fit into these definitions not by the same hand be called Old Agers?

Perhaps a silly thought, I know...
    • Report abuse
  •  03-02-2007, 3:57 AM 19865 in reply to 19863

Absolutely! I run into this all the time. People call my writing New Age but, in fact, when I tell them that this is actually Old Age thought, they do not comprehend. I do not like to be labeled as a lot of others on a spiritual path do not like to be labeled. But, when you are in the public eye as I, then you get all types of labels. Hats off to you, Scotsman! My Old Age ancestor, Donald Cargill, a Scottish martyr, was a Presbyterian minister. Whereabouts in Scotland do you roam at the present? I read your blog.
    JC
    33° 13' N 87° 37' W
    • Report abuse
  •  03-02-2007, 5:33 AM 19868 in reply to 19865

Pardon me if this question seems at all ignorant, Cargile: But in what capacity are you in the public eye?

...Would love to hear more from you. 

Cheers.
    • Report abuse
  •  03-03-2007, 6:09 AM 19960 in reply to 19868

A newspaper columnist for one thing, and a holistic coach for another. Thanks for asking...
    JC
    33° 13' N 87° 37' W
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help