Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

no way to Aniston playing Ken's wife

Last post 08-02-2006, 1:17 PM by rkrkrk. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (31 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-25-2006, 9:59 PM 2032

no way to Aniston playing Ken's wife

this has to be a joke, because you're all nuts and Ken is on crack if he casts Jennifer Aniston as his late wife. no way can she be fit to play that woman. she's not near the kind of actor or human being who could do justice to that life, even if it's just a movie, even if we think she's a swell chic. maybe more like Julia Ormond...maybe. but if Aniston gets this role i will throw myself in front of a bus! she's wrong for that role. i'm more pissed off about this because Treya is dead and her life touched something in me that makes me have to shout just now. is there no sense in your soul? is there no grace in your grit? have you no decency? at long last, have you left no sense of decency?

only a really special lady can play a STAR.

A man's attitude... a man's attitude goes some ways... The way his life will be. Is that somethin' you agree with? ~ The Cowboy
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-25-2006, 10:18 PM 2034 in reply to 2024

Re: no way to Aniston playing Ken's wife

Aronofsky's Fall release The Fountain was supposed to star Brad Pitt, but the better angels prevailed and he was commited to Troy. the role went to Hugh Jackman.

can you imagine anybody else playing Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz? Shirley Temple perhaps?

or just try to picture anyone other than Vivien fluxin'  Leigh in GWTW? darn right you can't! and Scarlet was a brunette!!! and ever so marvelous...

A man's attitude... a man's attitude goes some ways... The way his life will be. Is that somethin' you agree with? ~ The Cowboy
    • Report abuse
  •  07-25-2006, 11:03 PM 2038 in reply to 2024

As I recall, Shirley Temple WAS supposed to play Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.  But her schedule wouldn't allow it.  It would have been just another Shirley Temple movie...

And someone else was originally planned for Scarlett O'Hara, but I don't recall who.

I'm having trouble picturing Jennifer in a serious role like this, myself...they'd better have a darned good director. 

And how'd you get away with the word fuckin?
    • Report abuse
  •  07-25-2006, 11:24 PM 2041 in reply to 2024

Sam SaraSurfing

Yah I know,

I'm kinda in shock over the whole Aniston thing, but you know I trust that ken will work this thing out in an appropriate way.  I don't think he would let Grace and Grit, basically his pivotal life story, be told in a deranged way.  I'm sure he would pull the plug on the project if it was turning out real bad. 

But you know, you forgot the REAL question here.

Who in the *** World will play Ken Wilber himself. 

I for one would pick Chuck Norris, because he would be a total badass. But, maybe I-I has other ideas on that.

Peace,
    Ben

"Should it matter that my mind won't fit back in my head" -S. Davis
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 8:49 AM 2058 in reply to 2024

Hey folks! Louis, Julie, Ben

I actually started to comment on this the other day and it turned into a drawn out essay. Do you think I should post it? i.e. would any of you read it? It's pretty strong in opinion but hey, this supposed to be a serious and educational forum, right?

Whaddya think?

Tim

What you see is what you get, What you get is what you see,
    Don't see it? Don't get it. Don't get it? Don't see it.
    What you see is what you get.
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 9:10 AM 2064 in reply to 2024

tim - post it if you want, if people want to read it they will.

I tend to skim or skip long posts unless they are really compelling; I value concision.

As for Aniston, judging by Ken's blog entry it sounds like Jennifer Aniston's production company approached Ken, not the other way around; i.e. this wouldn't be happening at all if those behind Aniston didn't initiate it.

I personally found it touching that Jennifer Aniston loves the book and felt so excited about it; and that her and Brad Pitt used to read it to each other.  (And now he's probably reading The Power of Now with Angelina Jolie, sigh.)

Even if the movie is terrible, lots of good may come of it.  Let's just wait and see.

Louis...this is samsara, baby - can't you just, like, surf this stuff?  Smile [:)]

arthur

"Dwell in possibility" - Emily Dickinson
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 9:10 AM 2065 in reply to 2024

When in doubt, post it. Smile [:)]. I mean, unless one is in doubt about whether it's written from one's higher Self.

Let's see it.

Liz

God Bless Ken Wilber
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 9:13 AM 2066 in reply to 2024

Oh, and Tim...that essay is coming from your higher self, right?  Hmm [^o)]

One more thing: if the movie is terrible but a lot more people read the book as a result, and also I-I gets a chunk of cash to use for spiralific purposes...is that so awful?

I would love, btw, to see Ken do a full-length commentary on the DVD release; that might mitigate any hypothesized terribleness of the movie, especially if he's allowed to say whatever he wants there.

arthur

"Dwell in possibility" - Emily Dickinson
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 1:08 PM 2091 in reply to 2024

Liz and Arthur,

first before i get into this movie...
    Liz was the first one to make me feel welcome and cared about when i joined IN, and so far the only member of the core i've spoken with on the phone. Arthur i didn't like, to be honest, but then i fell in love with the guy ahhhhhhh. a friend will tell you when you're full of *** so i appreciate that.

secondly, my highest self gets all that about the possible benefits of a Wilber movie, i can take the role of the BBG and appreciate that point of view, and the goals of everyone involved in bringing this story to a wider audience. i'm not stupid. but it's fairly early in the game and this is the part of the movie where we hold the producer's and director's and Ken's feet to the flame. does they expect us to believe Aniston is the best suited for the role? i can't even think about who will play Ken. there are hundreds, and thousands, of unknown actors who are much, much better than Jennifer Aniston, as much as i really do like her. and consider this a challenge to her by me to take it seriously. maybe Brad Pitt would jump at the chance to play KW if it was offered...any objections?

right now i'm in the process of writing a movie and i want it to great, obviously. a day will come when perhaps somebody will offer me a serious wad of cash for my story, and what will i do then? we'll all get to see what my highest self does that day! because i'm poor. of course i like to think i'd stand my ground for my art, but a few hundred thousand dollars would greatly enhance my elligibility as a husband contender and i could buy a home and provide for a family. today i'm a pauper. but maybe there's one person who will give me the power to make this movie. it's a long way away, but if i ever come to casting it, i'll be merciless in my quest for the finest actors in the world, especially if i were casting Grace and Grit.

Coppola made Bram Stoker's Dracula, and FLUXED it up good by casting Keanu and Winona Ryder. this is the same guy who made The Godfather and Apocalypse Now! all the incredible actors in this world and he picked the most famous and wrongly-suited people. i like Keanu, but he was wrong for that role. one can only imagine today how a Ralph Fiennes or a Daniel Day Lewis might've been in the role of Jonathan Harker, or a Giovani Robisi, Christian Bale, Ryan Phillipe...but Coppola chose surfer-boy Keanu. again i really like Keanu, but shame on him for taking the role.

i feel the powers that be are so eager to make Grace and Grit that they're being careless. many of you have seen Shadowlands, the story of C.S. Lewis and his wife. it could've starred Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts, but the higher hand cast Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. it's a perfect film. today i'm thinking about the highest good, so i want to see the right actor for this KW movie.

if the Sistine Chapel was a mural of dogs shooting pool well...it coulda been no? don't tell me about the highest good.

big hugs,
    Louis

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 2:20 PM 2099 in reply to 2024

• ikarma is not online. Last active: 08-16-2006, 11:14 PM ikarma
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-19-2006
    • Jupiter, Florida USA
    • Posts 12
    • Points 165

I thought Jennifer was great in somewhat serious role in "The Good Girl".  She's generally cast in comedy roles but is now obviously looking for a role with greater depth.  I wouldn't write her off untill you've had a chance to see her really act in a serious role.

Blockbuster or Flop, the star power alone that she will bring to the movie can't help but be good for getting the underlying message out.  I think we can also count on millions of moviegoers reading the book in advance of the movie anyway.  Three cheers of Aniston!

Peace & Prosperity

Paul Williams
    http://Paul.ikarma.com
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 6:11 PM 2126 in reply to 2024

Gosh, that's good to hear, Louis. From what I hear, however, you're the only person I've ever made feel welcome on the forum.Indifferent [:|]And yeah, I feel that way about Arthur, too Wink [;)].

If they wanted star power, they should have looked no further than Charlize Theron. All the bankability, and far more talent. And I stand by my choice of Victor Garber, the guy who played Daddy Warbucks in the 1999 version of Annie, who was also in the TV show "Alias". He looks great bald, and has the gravitas to pull off the role.

Hoping you make it big someday,

Liz

God Bless Ken Wilber
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 7:44 PM 2131 in reply to 2126

Who could play the role?

Anniston, I agree, would be the wrong person to cast.

Best bet....find some talented unknown that has no viewer bias.
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 8:07 PM 2132 in reply to 2131

After thinking about it, I think Edward Norton would be perfect to play Ken.

He's made some very good, intense films (American History X, for example) that provoke some thought in the audience members.

More I think about it, I think he could play the part very well, if not perfectly.
    • Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 8:30 PM 2135 in reply to 2131

Vortex:
    Who could play the role? Anniston, I agree, would be the wrong person to cast. Best bet....find some talented unknown that has no viewer bias.

it's not about bias or that i feel she's a lousy actress, i don't think that. it's just that i-i want to make sure the folks making the film are terrified of getting it wrong. i hope everyone understands that.

this forum has a little power to help this thing be decent. casting is a BIG DEAL. to do it wrong can ruin a film. i'd have open calls in Kansas, Canada, Europe, Australia, Iceland, hey Bjork ya busy? ok that was for Arthur. what if next week Cate Blanchett wants to play Treya? and she turns out to be amazing???

Michael Crichton's advice to Ken is troubling, "expect the worst piece of garbage and then if by some miracle it's decent..." ahem, sorry Crichton your answer blows. even if Jennifer Aniston goes on Oprah to show a tearful scene of the film and O is like "awwwwww that's so wonderful!" ya think i don't appreciate all that? it would mean my own mother will see this movie! the last thing i want to do is stand in the way of Ken and Treya's story being told. only cool out! wait. let all the best actors fight to play in this film. don't rush. don't be blinded by zeal, and cast this wisely.

had Shirley Temple played Dorothy, Wizard of Oz would've been a disaster. try to imagine Shirley Temple singing Over the Rainbow...

• Report abuse
  •  07-26-2006, 9:29 PM 2137 in reply to 2135

I think you misinterpeted my meaning.

By saying 'viewer bias' I mean that there are some actors or actresses that just don't appeal to mainstream viewers in certain types of roles. Anniston may be just fine in roles the viewer is familiar with. Serious drama...she isn't known for. Having said that, her performance in "The Good Girl" was strong, although I wouldn't say I was a fan of the film. However, I did like her in "Office Space". SO.....I guess I am talking about type casting. I expect her to be in light hearted romantic comedies.

I understand your point. The producers and directors should be looking for talent, known or unknown, that will *make* the film, instead of looking for people that will *sell* the film.

Having said that, I'd still give the nod to Norton to play KW regardless of who plays Treya. He's a proven actor, very talented, and is particularly successful with serious roles.

I think Cate Blanchett would be a good pick.

I believe MC gave KW some very good advice. Seldom is a book translated to film very well. There are exceptions, but only when the producers and directors actually *care* about the subject as opposed to those who *hope* to collect a lot of pennies as the by product. (I don't know if KW has final script approval or not).

Hollywood doesn't have a good track record on moving stories from written word to moving pictures, so in that light.....I think Crichton is spot on.

If you sell it, and don't keep artistic control, they usually destroy it. I understand Rollings (or whoever wrote the Harry Potter series) could be a major *** when they were filming, but she did ensure that her story was being told in a consistent manner with the book(s), and as a result, the movies are probably better than if she didn't insist on some kind of control.
    • Report abuse
Page 1 of 3 (31 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help