Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Theory of Everything (from one point of view)

Last post 01-02-2008, 11:16 AM by rkrkrk. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-12-2007, 10:54 AM 29870

Theory of Everything (from one point of view)

"If you want to really change the world, you must first understand it adequately, or all you will do is reproduce in larger numbers your own ignorance." Ken Wilber

Prejudice= a point of view formed without knowledge or thought.

How many of us, in major and minor ways each day, perform actions based on prejudice? How much time and effort do you put into examining the different points of view from which you act?

Gandhi said that, "we must become the change that we want to see." If you appreciate that sentiment then you can’t ignore the fact that what "we want to see" necessarily takes place before we can "become the change." And since what "we want to see" is necessarily a point of view and since we don’t want our point of view that we will be acting upon to be a prejudiced or ignorant one, therefore we must look into what "we want to see" very carefully.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein

I think it’s safe to say that most people would like to see an end to war and a flourishing of peace. What is war but seemingly conflicting points of view being acted upon? How can a person or group of people reconcile their opposing points of view so that peace may prevail? You must in some sense rise above the opposing points of view and see not just how they can exist together harmoniously but how they actually, already do. This is what A Theory of Everything does and this again points to the primacy of understanding in relation to action.

"If you want to really change the world, you must first understand it adequately, or all you will do is reproduce in larger numbers your own ignorance." Ken Wilber

A Theory of Everything, is a meta-theory which means it rises above apparently conflicting points of view and sees how they fit together. Which is to say this meta-theory is not just a theory or point of view but a point of view in action. It not only asks the questions, "how do these points of view fit together?" "How can this conflict between perspectives be reconciled?" It also answers them. By any other name, this is the action of peace.

Conclusion: If you are interested in seeing peace in the world, if you are interested in being peace in the world, read this book. Think about the ideas. Talk about the ideas with your friends and coworkers. Embody the integral point of view and you will be become the change that you want to see.

• Post Points: 95
    • Report abuse
  •  10-15-2007, 10:26 AM 30049 in reply to 29870

• larisch is not online. Last active: 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM larisch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-20-2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 60

Re: Theory of Everything (from one point of view)

This was very illuminating thank you.

Can you tell us what page Ken's quote appeared on in ToE?

My friends and I are doing a presentation at a local bookstore entitled "Integral Wisdom" and the quote you referenced above captures our sentiments exactly.

Thank you so much my friend.

~ Barbara

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  10-16-2007, 5:55 AM 30094 in reply to 30049

dear barbara,

while focussing on what ken disseminates as a studenT (pandit type),

it may also be of your interest that he abuses all his sayings for being static

they are frozen in a sphere of a certain moment

which will never come back again

so, beware ... (as "ware" is "truthfull" in dutch: betruthfull)
    :-))
    with plea sure
    s'ace

"Through the 28::7 T-T cosmogenesis of time, merge your mind into the ever-evolving higher conciousness of time!

If there were not time, there would be no mind to become." - VV-Rinri-II
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  10-16-2007, 1:20 PM 30112 in reply to 30049

Hi Barbara,

That sounds like a fun and great thing you are doing. Could you share an outline of how the presentation will go?

The quote is not from TOE. It is off from the Ken Wilber blog. Look for the one entitled, You're Going to Be a Star: Post Your AQAL Essays Here.

It is towards the bottom.

Take care,

Jeffrey

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  11-23-2007, 3:39 PM 32379 in reply to 29870

• wmersy is not online. Last active: 06-03-2009, 3:32 PM wmersy
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Posts 18
    • Points 255

just wanted to comment about really clear concise post here..(ie first in series) .just so easy to read /not heavy at all (because so clear). echoes my sentiments/understanding very much so... creative fun and "difficulty" obviously is where theory hits road in our everyday lives . (where we investigate our prejudices -our perspectives really-  more and more...) Evolutionary unfolding is always widening our creative scope of understanding...

In a sense (in samsara's evolving "time") every perspective we have is more or less prejudiced (obviously less so with applied and embodied integral perspectives 4th to 5th person)(esp if we are doing shadow work as well)... i continually have found it interesting how my  perspectives(even new, integral less "prejudiced" insights) keeps evolving...keeps filling in and becoming fuller and fuller (not static)... probably all of this obvious already to everyone (and i guess it is one of the post-modern insights as well or what is seen more fully starting at this altitude- ie contexts are boundless).  perspectives on perspectives on perspectives...
    • Report abuse
  •  12-04-2007, 11:16 PM 33090 in reply to 30094

hi bakkumbeach,

i have an idea what you might be referring to, but i'm not at all sure. could you possibly mean kw's reference to the dust on our sandals?

curious ralph

• Report abuse
  •  12-30-2007, 8:45 PM 35256 in reply to 29870

The thing about ignorance is that you can’t know what you don’t know, and so the question becomes “how do we know when we have an adequate understanding of the world so that we don’t replicate our own ignorance?”  I have consistently found the answer to all such questions of this nature to be very simple, “follow your heart”.  Whatever decision you are confronted with simply make your best effort using your heart as your compass.  After all, if you are lost in the forest it is your compass that directs you out, even though the various obstacles along the way will most like result in a less than most efficient path.  You can not follow the most efficient path because it in part involves luck, so simply follow your heart in each moment and in that you will find peace in the now as you constantly evolve your understanding of the world.

:) MUCH LOVE (:
    • Report abuse
  •  12-30-2007, 8:46 PM 35257 in reply to 29870

The thing about ignorance is that you can’t know what you don’t know, and so the question becomes “how do we know when we have an adequate understanding of the world so that we don’t replicate our own ignorance?”  I have consistently found the answer to all such questions of this nature to be very simple, “follow your heart”.  Whatever decision you are confronted with simply make your best effort using your heart as your compass.  After all, if you are lost in the forest it is your compass that directs you out, even though the various obstacles along the way will most like result in a less than most efficient path.  You can not follow the most efficient path because it in part involves luck, so simply follow your heart in each moment and in that you will find peace in the now as you constantly evolve your understanding of the world.

• Report abuse
  •  12-30-2007, 8:48 PM 35258 in reply to 29870

The thing about ignorance is that you can’t know what you don’t know, and so the question becomes “how do we know when we have an adequate understanding of the world so that we don’t replicate our own ignorance?”  I have consistently found the answer to all such questions of this nature to be very simple, “follow your heart”.  Whatever decision you are confronted with simply make your best effort using your heart as your compass.  After all, if you are lost in the forest it is your compass that directs you out, even though the various obstacles along the way will most likely result in a less than most efficient path.  You can not follow the most efficient path because it in part involves luck, so simply follow your heart in each moment and in that you will find peace in the now as you consistently evolve your understanding of the world.

• Report abuse
  •  01-02-2008, 11:16 AM 35441 in reply to 29870

Hi,

ChangchupNyima:

Reading and "seeing" this quote, it being the first thing I have read in the new year (and upon my return to actively participating in IN), is soul-fully inspirational.

Prejudice= a point of view formed without knowledge or thought.

How many of us, in major and minor ways each day, perform actions based on prejudice? How much time and effort do you put into examining the different points of view from which you act?

Gandhi said that, "we must become the change that we want to see." If you appreciate that sentiment then you can’t ignore the fact that what "we want to see" necessarily takes place before we can "become the change." And since what "we want to see" is necessarily a point of view and since we don’t want our point of view that we will be acting upon to be a prejudiced or ignorant one, therefore we must look into what "we want to see" very carefully.

Very, very well thought out and said.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein

KW and AE really are saying the same thing aren't they?  In the new year, I will put their thoughts to work......asking again and again, do you and we really understand enough here (on this particular issue or problem) to contribute to positive change(s)?

I think it’s safe to say that most people would like to see an end to war and a flourishing of peace. What is war but seemingly conflicting points of view being acted upon? How can a person or group of people reconcile their opposing points of view so that peace may prevail? You must in some sense rise above the opposing points of view and see not just how they can exist together harmoniously but how they actually, already do. This is what A Theory of Everything does and this again points to the primacy of understanding in relation to action.

A Theory of Everything, is a meta-theory which means it rises above apparently conflicting points of view and sees how they fit together. Which is to say this meta-theory is not just a theory or point of view but a point of view in action. It not only asks the questions, "how do these points of view fit together?" "How can this conflict between perspectives be reconciled?" It also answers them. By any other name, this is the action of peace.

Conclusion: If you are interested in seeing peace in the world, if you are interested in being peace in the world, read this book. Think about the ideas. Talk about the ideas with your friends and coworkers. Embody the integral point of view and you will be become the change that you want to see.

Great advice that is worthy of repitition and action..........my copy of ATOE will prominently grace my public bookshelf and advise my work during this new year.......

With respect,

R.K.

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness that created it in the first place!"

887 Posts on Forum #1; 222 Posts on Forum #2......Member Since 8/8/2003
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help