Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

mirror mind or big mind or niete niete??!!?

Last post 10-27-2007, 3:28 PM by williamebrennan. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-27-2007, 11:03 AM 30761

mirror mind or big mind or niete niete??!!?

So I was getting confused and mixed up by the different methods kens proposes to experience the true nature of reality. heres the list I've noticed:

-Use mirror mind, any object that comes up simply notice it
    -repeat, "not this, not that, only that which is always present"
    -relax in the self contraction and notice the witness is not the self contraction
    -big mind process

and I think there are others too but I wanted to know if these are all basically the same thing and also what you use on a daily basis if any that make sense to you. thanks. - chris
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  10-27-2007, 11:24 AM 30762 in reply to 30761

Re: mirror mind or big mind or niete niete??!!?

"You are not listening.  Who is the listener?"

repeating like a mantra ... it's an interrogation to discover the true consciousness beyond the ego.   came to me in an identity crisis, and atleast ... got me "closer to god"?... or oriented me back to the deepest solution.   (the ever present witness)

mirror mind and neti neti are appealing.   one appears to simply immitate the enlightened state, while the other uses seeking to negate all but what is left, which in your own quote ends in a positive affirmation of that......but as i've heard it ("neti, neti") it is more a negation of everything except only a subtle and unsaid notion of the deepest emptiness.  (as a notion another obstacle of course... bastards are everywhere*(@(! :)

x23.zaadz.com
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  10-27-2007, 11:36 AM 30765 in reply to 30761

Chris:

IMHO these are  all different  ways of pointing to the same  dimension of  ourSelves,  your/my/our witnessing awareness.

Bill

• Report abuse
  •  10-27-2007, 3:28 PM 30777 in reply to 30765

To continue:

here is a quote from Ken  from one of the  Wyatt  Earp blogs:

The True Self is marked by a radical inclusiveness, so radical it is sometimes hard to understand. It embraces everything that is arising with no exceptions whatsoever—ozone hole, car crash, beautiful sunset, terrorist attack, Bach music: all the same. This is why it is often called Mirror Mind. If something good arises, it impartially reflects that with complete nonattachment. If something bad arises, it impartially reflects that, with no aversion at all.

You can notice that part of your awareness right now: clouds float by in the sky, thoughts float by in the mind, sensations float by in the body, sounds float by as well—there is an aspect of your awareness that simply Witnesses or Notices, without judgment or condemnation, everything that is arising. The Mirror Mind is always there, even if we forget it. It witnesses Hitler in precisely the same way it witnesses Mother Teresa. Again, radical inclusion.

in the same article,  Ken goes on to  say

The second mistake is to similarly confuse the radical nonjudgmentalism of the Real Self (or Mirror Mind) with the phenomenal world where judgments should and must be made. Thus, on the relative plane the path is “Do good, avoid evil, this is the path.” On the absolute or nondual plane, however, the path is choiceless awareness, beyond good and evil, reflecting each impartially, or simply resting in the pure Presence of this moment, the simple feeling of Being, the Witness of this and every moment, and let it all come rushing through in radical nonattachment and purest equanimity—the vast and infinite Mirror Mind that, Chung Tzu says, “grasps nothing, seeks nothing, receives but does not keep.”

Both paths are to be practiced together in the genuine nondual Path of the Great Liberation—a Great Liberation that occurs each and every moment—right now—that one’s identity shifts from a false self (the seen ego, the self-contraction) to the True Self (Big Mind or Mirror Mind, the infinite I AMness in each and every sentient being), embracing all that arises in the brilliant clarity and luminosity of the infinite shine of Mirror Mind. That is the aim of the nondual paths of Liberation, and the aim of Integral Life Practice as well.

The piece this is excerpted from is one of  my favorite pieces of Ken's writing. Itis from the "what we are  we see" part  two blog. Here is the link:

http://www.kenwilber.com/blog/show/48?page=4&return=archive

I hope this helps your inquiry into this question. It has helped mine.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help