Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

freecycle

Last post 08-06-2006, 4:58 PM by Helene. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-29-2006, 2:50 PM 2368

freecycle

The Freecycle Network™ is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns.

The Freecycle Network was started in May 2024 to promote waste reduction in Tucson's downtown and help save desert landscape from being taken over by landfills. The Network provides individuals and non-profits an electronic forum to "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can truly be another's treasure!

http://www.freecycle.org/

• Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-31-2006, 6:53 PM 2632 in reply to 2368

• JaneMc is not online. Last active: 05-07-2009, 3:29 AM JaneMc
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2006
    • Posts 149
    • Points 3,405

Re: freecycle

We are a bit out of the way for mailing stuff around, but my community wellness group has been having two freecycles a year at the community center, where everybody brings stuff they are wanting to give away, and they get to take away anything want too...it kinda like Christmas without the expense and the wrapping paper.....it is very fun. 

in the gulf islands they have several Free Stores that have been operating for a long time. Here is a link to one of them: http://www.hornbyisland.com/Recycle/2HR.html  I love this idea.....and dream about someday having it being part of my community. 

The fabric of my life is the cloth with which it is my responsibility to polish the lens of my own perception
    • Report abuse
  •  08-05-2006, 8:20 AM 3377 in reply to 2632

yah, think globally act locally!

one day my young kid-son came in and said "there's this great looking couch sitting out for a garbage pick up, just few houses away! we have to get it!" and we did :) both of which got replaced (the otherone "smelled like a musty motel" but i scrubbed and sun-aired for days on end and it was good'nuf )  recently, by newer -like new!- and (even) matching set! 

this house if chuk-full of treasures...and ppl. think i should have been an interior designer:) kidding not! and i thought i was smart!?  i noticed some tv show interior decorators dig big time thrift shops and do wonders at creativly bringing  those found treasures to life.

h  

• Report abuse
  •  08-05-2006, 8:27 AM 3380 in reply to 3377

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2006
    • Posts 149
    • Points 3,405

Helene, Somewhere in my mind's eye, I can see you there with your stuff, and I bet it's funky, and I bet you are too...
    Jane

The fabric of my life is the cloth with which it is my responsibility to polish the lens of my own perception
    • Report abuse
  •  08-06-2006, 7:24 AM 3507 in reply to 3380

hey Jane!

not only am i funky, i can be funcalicious:) especially when it comes to stuff i put on my back/body. ...even my young kid-son knew that in kindergarten, when he told the teacher my favorite store was the  By Way.. the one with cheapest cloths in town...but then he said my fav. thing to do was to hang cloths on the line (to dry).

i got smarter since. why? thrift stores are much cheaper , and i'm glad i make swell alterations:) - "something one would buy in a boutique in montreal" - i was told.

how'bout you? how funkalicious are you?

• Report abuse
  •  08-06-2006, 12:16 PM 3543 in reply to 3507

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2006
    • Posts 149
    • Points 3,405

Hmmm, Helene,

How funkalicious am I?!  Well, thanks for asking, I have never really thought about it  before, but I'd say a quick inventory would say: Not funkalicious enough.  I have too much stuff .....and it puts me out of the funky categatory---but I have plans to off load and do better!....I dream of being an old lady someday with a purple hat, like the poem, and a large shopping bag and a yellow bicycle with carriers on the front and back(like my mom).......also, I will have a huge garden, and a small house with a windmill and solar electricity...chickens in the chicken house.......I am going to have award winning delpheniums, and pick a lot of wild berries for jams....and I am going to have two or three outfits maximum that can be interchanged for every occassion imaginable.  I will spend most of my time making wild crafts, and walking on the beach....and when my delphienuems are flowering every summer, I will put bunches of them out on the road in a pay-as-you-will system......and my motto will be like the bumpersticker.....Practice senseless beauty and random acts of kindness....yes, so Helene, I am lacking funk, dammit, but I can feel it man! I got funk in my future.

love Jane

• Report abuse
  •  08-06-2006, 4:58 PM 3554 in reply to 3543

umm , Jane,

did i create 'nuf eonugh  pressure to dammit please helen? ...funkaliciousylol..

• .good job J grrrl:)

you like purple hats!!!? for real?  i'm a strict mane grrl ...i'm gona roar 'cus i'm a woman , rememeber helen redy? no more chickens in the chicken house  for me tho! kids wanted eggs from the store anyways..besides, they had names and come chicken soup time no one looked forward to doing them in.

making home-grown rasspberrie smoothies and jams was my fav. part of years of living on the 'farm'. been there done that it seems. was fun while it lasted tho:)

h

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help