Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Second Life: The next incarnation of the WWW?

Last post 03-12-2007, 10:29 AM by 93Nothing88. 203 replies.
Page 1 of 14 (204 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-09-2006, 10:41 PM 7463

Second Life: The next incarnation of the WWW?

Attachment: USC_small.jpg
    Okay,  I did a little searching,  and it doesn't seem that this has come up yet,  but if I'm wrong,  please let me know.

Second Life is a platform that it's creators at Linden Labs foresee suplanting the WWW.  It appears on the surface to be a game,  a 3-D "MMO" - massivly multiplayer online game.  Well,  it isn't,  although there are certainly play elements.  Professors have begun teaching virtual classes there.  Architects use the build features to create 3-D models for clients.  And by purchasing virtual land,  you have basically got your own 3 dimensional website.  You can create virtual libraries:  notecards of text can be set up to pop open when objects are touched,  and virtual objects can be used to illustrate your ideas - very useful for vision-logic.

The client software for Second Life is free,  and functions much like a web-browser.  You need a basic membership to use it - but this is also free.  You may purchase and sell virtual or real world items in SL,  and anything that you create is legally your intelectual property.  It is absolutely amazing how much there is to do - like I've discovered net surfing all over again.

I am disapointed to report that there appears to be no Integral presence in SL.  This isn't too surprising,  as there are only about 400 k registered users.  I have been able to find the presence of schools like USC.  Mostly it is communications and technologies departments that have a presence,  but it is ineveitable (to my mind) that others will follow.  The "population" of SL is surging exponentially.  One area,  called EduNation,  actually has classroom space for rent (cheap - the area is run at a loss,  mostly as an experiment with the new technology).

What all of this boils down to is that I feel the I I and I U and I N should have some kind of presence in SL,  official or otherwise.  At the very least it would allow all of us the option of chatting avatar to avatar in a virtual space of our own making.  It could never replace this forum,  but would be a great suplement.

There is bad news for some of you:  you will need a broadband connection,  and a decent computer that runs XP,  Linex,  or a Mac.  SL uses the Havoc1 game engine to create the 3-D space.  Havoc4 has already been released,  so as you can guess SL isn't cutting edge graphically,  so if your computer is a few years old you should be okay. 

If anyone is interested in joining me,  respond here.  The client software can be downloaded at secondlife.com.  It takes a few hours to set up your avatar and get the hang of things,  but don't worry about leaving Help Island too soon:  there are several places in SL devoted to helping noobs.  Besides,  if you aren't too keen on tweaking your virtual avatars appearance,  you can always buy one.  BTW,  95% of the content in SL is user created,  just like the web,  which is why it is such a rich environment.

I have some in-world "snapshots."  Unfortunately the file size limits don't allow them to do SL justice.  I'll attatch them just the same.

Glad to be back in the forums here.  I only have access to this one here,  so if someone else wants to repost this in one of the other forums feel free ( I should probably just upgrade my membership).

Also,  if anyone here is already a registered SLer,  my avatar's name is Enkidu Fanwood.  (You can choose your first name,  but your last name is picked from a list.  Most of them are pretty cartoonish,  which is okay with me.  And no,  you can't change your name once you pick it - so choose wisely!)

There is a seperate Teen-grid - no one over 18 is allowed on the main grid,  and vice-versa.  And if you own "land" you can block specific people from entering,  or set permissions to allow only a set list of people to enter.  So don't worry:  Spammers can easily be blocked!

Eagerly awaiting your responses.  SL needs us!

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  09-09-2006, 10:52 PM 7464 in reply to 7463

Re: Second Life: The next incarnation of the WWW?

Attachment: USC small 2.JPG
    More snapshots:

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  09-09-2006, 10:53 PM 7465 in reply to 7464

Attachment: Edunation.JPG
    Edunation:
    • Report abuse
  •  09-09-2006, 10:56 PM 7466 in reply to 7465

Attachment: Ivory Tower.JPG
    Ivory Tower Library:  a self-paced tutorial for creating virtual objects:

• Report abuse
  •  09-09-2006, 10:56 PM 7467 in reply to 7466

Attachment: Ivory Tower 3.JPG
    More Ivory Tower:

• Report abuse
  •  09-09-2006, 10:58 PM 7468 in reply to 7467

Attachment: Texture Tutorial.JPG
    A texture tutorial.  Each pedistal demonstrates something different.  Clicking on the objects causes a notecard to  pop up that is like the chapter of a book:

• Report abuse
  •  09-10-2006, 3:25 AM 7480 in reply to 7463

Hi,

Sounds interesting; this probably needs to be 'integrated' indeed Smile [:)]

I'm checking it out, and I'll get back to you later.

Peter

"All nations should be like Amsterdam" -- Ken Wilber
    • Report abuse
  •  09-10-2006, 6:08 AM 7484 in reply to 7463

Okay, I installed the software, created a funky avatar and fooled around on the tutorial island for a while. It all went smoothly, except for one software crash (my client software, not the server), and for one guy how was asking all the females if they wanted to f*ck.... (without any success, by the way).

So, in your second life, you can fly. Cool.

This would actually give us a chance to see what a (small) integral community would look like in 3D (so you can walk around in it) within a largely first-tier environment. That could be great fun, and I'd like to participate, but only if we do more than just chatting. Let's build stuff!

Suggestions?

I'd like to meet Enkidu Fanwood face to face, for starters. My avatar's name is Vincent Palou. How do we set up a meeting? Maybe you can send me a PM? (Note that I'm in Europe, so there's a time difference)

Peter

• Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  09-10-2006, 10:11 AM 7506 in reply to 7484

Okay,  I can't go back to Help Island:  once you leave that's it.  I'll log in and see if I can send you a landmark (a bookmark to a place).  It should show up in your inventory in the "landmarks" folder.  Just click on it and select "teleport."  I'll send you a landmark for New Citizens Incorporated - they exist to help noobs,  have classes and lots of free stuff,  as well as landmarks to other cool places.  Of course,  all of their classes center around SL,  but still pretty cool.

I think I might also be able to offer frienship by just having your name.  This will allow us to know when the other is online and IM each other.  I usually login around 6 or 7 PM GMT,  then later around 4 or 5 AM GMT (before and after work).

See you on the flip side.

• Report abuse
  •  09-10-2006, 12:35 PM 7519 in reply to 7506

I seem to remember someone on the old IN forum mentioning Second Life.  I believe it was Lila, but I wasn't able to confirm that with a search of the old forum.  From what I recall, she had gone pretty deeply into Second Life and was spending a lot of time there, developing her character and her relationships.

The idea of creating a workable Integral community presence there does sound very attractive.  I think it's a great idea. 

May the boundless knowledge that time presents and space allows illuminate the native perspectives of your original face.

• Report abuse
  •  09-10-2006, 2:56 PM 7527 in reply to 7519

We could certainly use your input there, Bruce! You'd be very welcome to join us.

It looks like we can do stuff like building 3D, animated versions of AQAL diagrams. There are over half a million residents in Second Life, half of which is active from the looks of it. It would be great if we could introduce some of them to Integral Theory in general, and to I-I in particular.

We better build something before Phase 2 goes into effect at I-I Smile [:)]

Open invitation to everybody, folks...

Peter

• Report abuse
  •  09-11-2006, 10:26 PM 7620 in reply to 7527

Attachment: SD notecard_001.jpg
    Here is a picture of a 3d diagram I made showing the percentage of population at different SD vMemes.  I would have used the new color scale that Wilber has developed,  but I couldn't find it and am still not that familiar with it.  The sizes of the cylinders are based on my own rough estimates - I know they are off,  and that SD is,  in some ways,  suspect,  or at least limited.  This is mostly just to demonstrate what can be done.  The little podium in front contains a script that causes it to give a notecard when touched (left clicked).  The notecard apears to the left.  If you can't read it,  it says something like "Spiral Dynamics blah blah bleh boo."  Stick out tongue [:P]  It just seems like an II presence here is a no-brainer.

• Report abuse
  •  09-11-2006, 10:48 PM 7622 in reply to 7620

Attachment: AQAL.jpg
    Please join me!  Together we can rule the SL universe!  Or at least weird them out Stick out tongue [:P]

• Report abuse
  •  09-11-2006, 10:55 PM 7624 in reply to 7622

Attachment: AQAL2.jpg
    closer,  better.

• Report abuse
  •  09-12-2006, 4:19 AM 7636 in reply to 7624

• wicke is not online. Last active: 07 Jan 2024, 3:20 AM wicke
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • Bristol UK
    • Posts 21
    • Points 345

this sounds like a good idea, i'm going to check it out.

ok, i've kinda joined, didn't really understand what i was doing, and it crashed before i could work it out - perhaps my computer is too crap. If it does work when i load it back up later, then i go under the name of tuesday trotter.

cool, wicke.

mornin' sunshine
    • Report abuse
Page 1 of 14 (204 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help