Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

what's with the advertising?

Last post 09-28-2006, 1:21 PM by adastra. 71 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (72 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-15-2006, 3:47 AM 7888

• JaneMc is not online. Last active: 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM JaneMc
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2006
    • Posts 122
    • Points 2,845

what's with the advertising?

What's with the advertising?

The fabric of my life is the cloth with which it is my responsibility to polish the lens of my own perception
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 6:53 AM 7905 in reply to 7888

Re: what's with the advertising?

JaneMc:

What's with the advertising?

I sense an implied judgment, Jane...don't feel afraid to say you don't like it, or ask "What THE FUCK IS UP with the advertising?"  or some such.

Otherwise they might think you like it or sumthin'.  Do you?  Stick out tongue [:P]

I actually glossed over it and thought of it as just an announcement...but actually the BUY NOW is a definite semiotic indication of the presence advertisement.

Hmm.  Must ponder this.   I wouldn't want to see ads plastered all over the site but so far don't feel too strongly about this.  Still...thin edge of the wedge and all...

arthur

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people." -Eugene Pallette as Alexander Bullock in MY MAN GODFREY
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 6:57 AM 7906 in reply to 7905

OK..I sat with it for several seconds...I hate it.  Aim higher.

r.thor

spoof ad

Previous page

p.s. I have nothing against the orange meme...but data smog is a vexation of the spirit.

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people." -Eugene Pallette as Alexander Bullock in MY MAN GODFREY
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 7:04 AM 7908 in reply to 7905

A small box with information about upcoming I-I seminars is fine by me. I agree that the BUY NOW part is unnecessary, since it kinda turns information into advertisements. We're paying to use the forums, which to me is an indication that the site should be ad-free. But at the same time we're all interested in I-I activities so a small info box could even add value for us.

Some might say I'm nitpicking but I think Arthur has a point (or that he is pondering a valid point...).

• Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 7:05 AM 7909 in reply to 7908

To state it in a short way: information - yes please. Ads - no thank you.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 8:25 AM 7923 in reply to 7905

• JaneMc is not online. Last active: 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM JaneMc
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2006
    • Posts 122
    • Points 2,845

Arthur, Well, my question was my effort at appreciative inquiry....but my opinion about whether I like it: NOPE!
    Seems to me that we are getting plenty of information about the kits and the seminars and so on via our email address....having them colour coded at the top and bottom of every page, is, IMHO, over the top and irritating.  Jane

The fabric of my life is the cloth with which it is my responsibility to polish the lens of my own perception
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 10:28 AM 7948 in reply to 7923

I'm outing myself.  Jane's reply to my private message to her (slightly edited below) nudged me out into the open.  You've all been very important to me for several months now, so be gentle....

Hi Jane,

I think the advertising has to do with the very recent arrival of an new CEO who introduced himself somewhere on the site a few days ago.  I attempted to again find his intro but sometimes navigating through the labyrinth of I-This and I-That foils me.

Perhaps we're in for a bit of an orange "Let's make a business out of this business" influence.  In any event, I had the same shocked reaction that evidently you also experienced.  I expect it won't be allowed to get out of line and I must admit that. although I do believe I had been informed elsewhere about these advertised events, I am now much more aware of them and checked out, because of the ad, the upcoming Florida event.  So, while my budget won't allow me to participate, the ad worked!

I'm a "lurker" who has not , at least as yet, "come out" though Davidd came close to "outing" me a couple of weeks ago, which would have been OK as shy types like myself don't mind friendly little shoves. So let me say that I read your posts without fail and you manage to convey exquisitely - and sometimes PAINFULLY exquisitely - what's going on with you.  I always look forward to your words, even though they may put me through the wringer at times.

And your exchanges with Ramsees...ah!

No longer lurking in Florida,

-Mark

Just enough enlightenment for this time around, please.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:00 AM 7954 in reply to 7948

A hearty (but quiet and not-too-boisterousWink [;)]) welcome to you, Mark. I do treasure the brave souls who come out of the lurking closet.

I ignored it at first as well-I didn't even see it until I saw this thread. Hideous. I hate it. Rewording would go a long way towards making it palatable, though.

I will assume, for the moment (and probably much longer), that this is yet another creaky growing pain kind of event, and, hopefully, that someone is paying attention somewhere and noting our displeasure.

Liz

Enlightenment is like getting old-it's not for sissies, but it beats the alternative.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:01 AM 7955 in reply to 7948

Welcome "out of the closet" "lurker"-Mark! I was in on the near "outing" by David a couple of weeks ago, so it's good to see you!.Smile [:)]

I saw the ads this morning too and quite frankly?

. . . I loved it!

I mean, what are we possibly worried about here? There are no random Google ads or pop-ups or pictures of completely unrelated women in their bikini or underwear (darn it!Angry [:@]) selling soap or weight loss solutions (although, I feel like writing the AQAL weight loss solution to make myself $a million or two dollars$$$$$Big Smile [:D] -in fact, what a GREAT fundraising idea for I-I! Add in hair AQAL hair-re-growth and erectile solutions and I-I would be all set!!)

Okay, but anyway, this is transcend and include here, the seeing (and perhaps reinterpreting and freeing from pathology) and valuing of all levels. I REALLY like that each and every day when I log on here I see the latest upcoming events AND even the ILP. C'mon, let's not be too hold-over anti-capitalist green.

Naturally, if the place started getting flooded with all kinds of endless advertising and BS, integral or not, yeah, that would put a damper on things. But I have faith and trust in the taste and discretion of our fellow I-I operators and so forth.

So, from me THANKS for the little box notice there. Totally cool by yours truly. And in fact, I think it's a nice little "evolutionary advance."Smile [:)]

But yeah, let's as my old music teacher used to say "use the KISS method" -Keep It Simple Stupid.Stick out tongue [:P]

I wish I could have writte this with my cool, black -I+I- pen! . . . but now the INK is running out! Drat.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:03 AM 7956 in reply to 7955

Actually, even removing the stupid exclamation points would be great. Notice the next time you read something that over-uses them, and it's like someone's shouting at you.

Liz

Enlightenment is like getting old-it's not for sissies, but it beats the alternative.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:46 AM 7963 in reply to 7956

Okay, Liz, I'll, at the very least, "half" go with you one that one. I think that is a nice aesthetic observation. Yes [Y] (As we used to say in the theatre "too much!" Or "don't chew up the scenery!" "We get it without being beaten over the head" etc.)

However, you know, we just never know what will appeal to someone or not. (In fact, that is a real green, aperspectival concession right there. Who knows? Who's to say? I may "like" the exclamation points, you may not. etc.) But I have been experimenting in this regard for years . . . and it just always seems that the more you follow the "truths of orange" (such as FREE! and exclamation points, etc.Hmm [^o)]) the just darned better off you do.

So, I am a little on the fence about that one. But since you've pointed it out, darn it(!) now they annoy me.Angry [:@]

Smile [:)]

Tim

I wish I could have writte this with my cool, black -I+I- pen! . . . but now the INK is running out! Drat.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:46 AM 7964 in reply to 7956

I actually think it's bad marketing to use exclamation marks and BUY NOW. Everybody (more or less...) who comes to these forums is already interested in or sold on integral theory. Good marketing in this context would be to discreetly (but visibly) inform us of the upcoming events or hot products.
    • Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 11:58 AM 7967 in reply to 7964

. . . and actually, now that I see it at the BOTTOM of EVERY PAGE too . . . I do think that's a "little much." Come on, let us remember, less is more.Smile [:)] So, Corey or whoever, if you interested, my vote is to just keep in on the top of the opening page . . .

Then again, you never know who might Google and get a thread topic and then be brought into our elite and exclusive fold through our nefarious advertising.

Hmm. Here's an idea -if possible, make it "member optional to "hide advertising?" (ecept on the opening forim page) My two cents .  . . which is by now about a Quarter.

• Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 12:13 PM 7969 in reply to 7967

timelody:
     . . . and actually, now that I see it at the BOTTOM of EVERY PAGE too . . . I do think that's a "little much." Come on, let us remember, less is more.Smile [:)] So, Corey or whoever, if you interested, my vote is to just keep in on the top of the opening page . . .

Then again, you never know who might Google and get a thread topic and then be brought into our elite and exclusive fold through our nefarious advertising.

Hmm. Here's an idea -if possible, make it "member optional to "hide advertising?" (ecept on the opening forim page) My two cents .  . . which is by now about a Quarter.

Fuckin-A on that idea, timelody. 

spiral out,

arthur

• Report abuse
  •  09-15-2006, 12:32 PM 7971 in reply to 7969

Hello Integral admins,

ever heard of the law of the reverse effect? I imagine it's not just me who is turned off. Many will take this as a brow-beating and do exactly the opposite. Trust me on this.

M
    • Report abuse
Page 1 of 5 (72 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help