Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Journal of Integral Theory and... » Vol. 1, No. 2: Summer 2024 » Re: "20th Century Background for Integral Psychology"

"20th Century Background for Integral Psychology"

Last post 04-09-2007, 8:25 PM by ben496. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-08-2007, 11:10 AM 20275

"20th Century Background for Integral Psychology"

By Susanne Cook-Greuter
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  04-09-2007, 8:25 PM 21624 in reply to 20275

Re: "20th Century Background for Integral Psychology"

I found this article by Suzanne Cook-Greuter to be exceptionally stimulating, extensive, well formulated, and an excellent description of the importance of integral psychology.  However, i would like to also add that there is a definite current trend in the world of humanistic psychology to broaden its perspective to complement the scientific/behavioral /cognitive branches of psychology, and especially positive psychology.  This can be seen from a number of the articles in the 2024 book "The Handbook Of Humanistic Psychology" edited by Kirk Schneider, Jim Bugental, and J. Fraser Pierson.  However, as I see it there is also a significant difference between this more "integral" version of humanistic psychology and integral psychology per se.  Humanistic psychology undoubtedly places its emphases and values in the upper left quadrant and essentially is now interested in being more complementary to the right quadrant approaches for purposes of basic survival in the world of psychology; i.e. being accepted in what is considered to be bona-fide academic psychology.  On the other hand, integral psychology stresses quite adamantly that all approaches are equally valid and should be taken in complimentary context.   This is a far different cry from Wilber's first book "The Spectrum Of Consciousness" of over thirty years ago, in which the emphasis was on the upper left quadrant in terms of highest value.  Wilber also makes the point clear in his recent book "Integral Spirituality" that in order for the upper left quadrant to survive it is necessary to embed it thoroughly in a postmodern context, i.e. in the lower left quadrant, along with the other quadrants as well.  I do believe that Ken still has the upper left quadrant most dear to him and is utilizing the integral approach largely to preserve this precioius inner realm, in a way not very different from the current thrust of many in the world of humanistic psychology.  But this is only my own personal guess, and I do not see anything in integral psychology writings that lends itself to this perspective.  Thus I find the relatively recent "integral" perspective of humanistic psychology to be far more affirming of the inner subjective experience being valued and preserved in psychology than is integral psychology.  And I will openly admit that my own personal leanings are in this integral perspective of humanistic psychology.

Elliot Benjamin

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help