Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Integral Spiritual Center Foru... » ISC Library and Media Discussi... » Re: Comments on Enlightenment, Gradually...

Comments on Enlightenment, Gradually...

Last post 11-05-2007, 5:27 PM by ifdef. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-05-2007, 9:53 AM 31313

Comments on Enlightenment, Gradually...

Please join our discussion of Enlightenment, Gradually.... All members of ISC are invited to join the conversation. If you are an ISC member, simply reply to this post with your comments. Not a member of ISC? Visit us and join now!
    • Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  11-05-2007, 3:01 PM 31332 in reply to 31313

Re: Comments on Enlightenment, Gradually...

Surely it was not an intentional edit that ends this clip in mid sentence .... particularly such an important statement that contrast the hazard of pursuing sudden enlightenment exclusively with the previous statement on the hazard of only relying on gradual enlightenment. That being said, I offer the following observations.

As I understand the issue, the danger of the repeated pursuit of the "ultimate" sudden enlightenment experience that leaves one in a permanent and stable exalted state is two fold. First, the pursuit is illusory, a misrepresentation of enlightenment. Second, the drive to repeat or surpass previous spiritual experiences can easily become addictive behavior.

I would also expand on the danger of resting in repose waiting for gradual enlightenment. Here it is easy to mistake the peacefulness in sitting as evidence of progress. Then it is tempting to place to much emphasis on formal sitting and it becomes an activity asbtracted or separated from daily life.

It is my observation that gradual and sudden enlightenment are not separate at all, simply two sides of the same coin. Spiritual experiences and insights serve to loosen or perforate the personality structure and its supporting content. This allows attentiveness in daily life to dump useless or harmful content more easily and transform the structure more rapidly (but still a process that occurs over time).

Jerry

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  11-05-2007, 4:44 PM 31339 in reply to 31332

i agree jerry .. it couldn't possibly be intentional for the clip to be cut off mid-sentence .. he was just getting started making the point !

wow what metaphors he used .. for the gradual path .. a worm eating his way thru a tree .. for the immediate path .. existing on the fumes of the absolute ..

more please  :)

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  11-05-2007, 4:45 PM 31340 in reply to 31332

• yeshedorje is not online. Last active: 11-05-2007, 4:45 PM yeshedorje
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-26-2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Yes please let's finish the thought, and I do agree with Jerry.

Yeshe

• Report abuse
  •  11-05-2007, 5:27 PM 31342 in reply to 31313

• ifdef is not online. Last active: 11-05-2007, 8:21 PM ifdef
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-27-2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I hope this isn't close to the intended length of the clip.  I'm hoping for more of this, whether it's in video, audio or transcript form.  Please, more!

Thanks

• Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help