Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Integral Social Service

Last post 01-31-2007, 2:42 AM by Johno. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-22-2007, 11:49 AM 18556

Integral Social Service

Any thoughts on AQAL social work?  It seems like an area that lends itself well to AQAL, (bio-psycho-social models line up very well with the quadrants).  But it seems like the profession is so heavily dominated by green, and by a focus on the UR and LR, and on a focus on individual rights (and not on responsibilities) that this is a field that is in serious need of an infusion of AQAL.....
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  01-26-2007, 3:08 AM 18663 in reply to 18556

• Johno is not online. Last active: 09-30-2007, 4:53 AM Johno
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Posts 20
    • Points 250

Re: Integral Social Service

Hi,

I agree with you fully that social work is very compatible with AQAL. I've been trying in  my own limited way to apply the integral approach to my work as as a social worker for the major government human services department in Australia. I find it a bit difficult  because the nature of this work involves typically only one or two sessions with clients in crisis, eg homeless or victims of domestic violence. However, being integrally informed at least helps me to put the work in a much more comprehensive context. It also helps to bring the spiritual dimension into social work, which has been very much lacking till now. I havent had much success in getting either my colleagues or the social work school at the local university interested in taking Wilber's work seriously, probably largely as you say becaue of the green orientation of the profession..

I've been a bit frustrated that while there has  been a major emphasis on integral psychology and psychotherapy within the integral community, , there hasnt been much on integral social work.. ( I was delighted to have attended the Integral Psychotherapy Seminar in Denver in 2024).

There are a couple of excellent articles on integral social work at www.csisw.cua.edu/articles.cfm

I'm very pleased that you raised this topic. I hope it gets a conversation going,

love and peace,

Johno

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  01-26-2007, 3:13 AM 18664 in reply to 18663

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Posts 20
    • Points 250

I hope this link works better.  http://csisw.cua.edu/articles.cfm

Johno

• Report abuse
  •  01-27-2007, 8:31 AM 18727 in reply to 18664

• gjplsc is not online. Last active: 09-19-2007, 9:14 AM gjplsc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-17-2006
    • Posts 6
    • Points 135

I am glad to see that a discussion about an integrally informed social service practice has opened.  While it is true that much work needs to be done to bring an integral approach to the education of social workers, it is not the only way to one can inform others of this approach.

I facilitate a program that credentials front line social workers in family support practice.  The program is Family Development Credentialing (FDC). http://cas.umkc.edu/fdc/  The FDC curriculum was created at Cornell.  Here in Missouri, the credentialing agency is the University of Missouri - Kansas City.  The FDC curriculum provides several entry points to discuss an integrally informed approach. 

I have the used the AQAL model to facilitate a quadrical (is that a word) understanding of the families social workers works with.  A principle of family support is that one works with the goals of the family.  AQAL provides a framework for assessing the resources available for achieving the goal, and it also informs the worker as to what practices might strengthen the family in each quadrant.  It is truly a multipurpose tool. 

There seems to be more that one way to get the job done.  Creating a integral social work theory is important, but I am not waiting around for the development to take place.  I am a practioner, and AQAL informs practice in the here and now.  What do you think?

• Report abuse
  •  01-31-2007, 2:42 AM 18892 in reply to 18727

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Posts 20
    • Points 250

Hi gjplsc,

I'm pleased to hear about the work you're doing applying AQAL to supporting families. It's encouraging to hear these stories.

I also use the AQAL framework in working with the clients that I see. It provides a very good context and does inform my practice eg in working with adolescents who are unable to continue living with their parents. It helps with both the assessment and the brief counselling process.

I'd still like to see more theoretical development of integral social work. I've always had an interest in the philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of the work. I guess it's up to us practitioneers to contribute in any way we can to this.

best wishes,

Johno

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help