Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Bruce Cockburn Dialog on Integral Naked?

Last post 10-09-2006, 12:25 PM by Davidu. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-03-2006, 11:34 AM 10138

Star [*] Bruce Cockburn Dialog on Integral Naked?

For some time now one of my "fantasy dialogs" has been Stuart Davis talking with Bruce Cockburn.  I know Kid Mystic is into the idea, but would Bruce go for it and would the BBG sign off on the whole idea?  Who knows?

In order to try to get the ball rolling, after much consideration I sent the following email to Bruck Cockburn via his record company:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Mr. Cockburn

I work for the non-profit organization Integral Institute (I-I), founded by Ken Wilber and others who are exploring and extending the emerging integral worldview.  I-I offers a comprehensive approach to individual and cultural development respectful of the unique needs, abilities, and values of all people.  Each week audio and video dialogs are featured on the website, and I'm hoping to interest you in doing an audio dialog for us; it would be conducted over the phone and take less than an hour of your time. 

Your music is very popular with members of the Integral Institute forums.  The seamless blending of progressive politics, heart-centered spirituality, and deep appreciation for the human condition combined with your transcendant musical expression makes your artistry compelling and inspiring.  I personally developed a deep appreciation of your music through a close friend I met on one of the I-I forums, and I know others have as well. 

For each guest, a permanent biography page is featured on our website; for an example of what this looks like, please see any of the bio pages, for example Rick Rubin, Eddie Kowalczyk, Ottmar Liebert, Eve Ensler, Father Thomas Keating, Maureen Silos, Alex Grey, Yungchen Lhamo, Hunter Lovins, Brother David Steindl-Rast, and many more.  Our Featured Guests page has a more complete list.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me:

email: <>

phone: <>

If you wish to learn more about the integral approach, please see the material on this page, or for a somewhat more in-depth explanation look here.  Otherwise, If you prefer, I can send you some material in another email explaining the integral approach in more detail.

sincerely,

arthur gillard

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sent it a couple of weeks ago and have not yet heard a response; so now I'm going to stage two.

If you would like to hear Bruce Cockburn in dialog on Integral Naked, please write to his record company and let him/them know.  The email is:

general_inquiries@truenorthrecords.com

If you know anybody else who would be into the idea, please forward them a link to this thread:

http://multiplex.integralinstitute.org/Public/cs/forums/10138/ShowThread.aspx#10138

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you like, this thread can become a "Bruce Cockburn" tribute thread.  Post pictures, lyrics, talk about why you love him so much, how you discovered his music, etc.

namaste,
    arthur

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people." -Eugene Pallette as Alexander Bullock in MY MAN GODFREY
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  10-04-2006, 7:08 AM 10206 in reply to 10138

Re: Bruce Cockburn Dialog on Integral Naked?

I was hoping someone else would answer this post, because I also fervently wish for this dialog...perhaps some of you aren't familiar with this man's work. It's prolific and good which are two qualities that rarely go together, and he as integral a musician as I've heard. Give him a listen and see if you don't agree.

You know what I mean, don't you? Someone who, when you listen to their music and lyrics, you say to yourself, "he knows me!" and even more remarkable, "he knows integral!" even if, for some amazing reason, he isn't aware of what it is yet.

Liz

Enlightenment is like getting old-it's not for sissies, but it beats the alternative.
    • Report abuse
  •  10-08-2006, 9:36 AM 10533 in reply to 10206

tamgoddess:
    I was hoping someone else would answer this post, because I also fervently wish for this dialog...perhaps some of you aren't familiar with this man's work. It's prolific and good which are two qualities that rarely go together, and he as integral a musician as I've heard. Give him a listen and see if you don't agree.

You know what I mean, don't you? Someone who, when you listen to their music and lyrics, you say to yourself, "he knows me!" and even more remarkable, "he knows integral!" even if, for some amazing reason, he isn't aware of what it is yet.

Liz

I so know what you mean.  In an email exchange a while back Stuart Davis - who has been listening to Bruce a lot lately - opined that judging from his lyrics the man is cognitively at vision-logic and at healthy green in terms of his values.  We can assume that a lot of his fan base is around the same level on both of those important lines, and it would be so great to bring him and his fans into the integral embrace.

You can find out a lot about Bruce Cockburn at The Cockburn Project.  Among other things, the lyrics to all his songs are there, with any known additional commentary by him underneath.  It is a fantastic website and clearly a work of loving devotion to this great artist and wonderful human being.

arthur

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you would like to hear Bruce Cockburn in dialog on Integral Naked, please write to his record company and let him/them know.  The email is:

If you know anybody else who would be into the idea, please forward them a link to this thread:

http://multiplex.integralinstitute.org/Public/cs/forums/10138/ShowThread.aspx#10138

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people." -Eugene Pallette as Alexander Bullock in MY MAN GODFREY
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  10-08-2006, 9:42 AM 10534 in reply to 10533

Here's one song of his I really love, Pacing the Cage:

Sunset is an angel weeping
    Holding out a bloody sword
    No matter how I squint I cannot
    Make out what it's pointing toward
    Sometimes you feel like you live too long
    Days drip slowly on the page
    You catch yourself
    Pacing the cage

I've proven who I am so many times
    The magnetic strip's worn thin
    And each time I was someone else
    And every one was taken in
    Powers chatter in high places
    Stir up eddies in the dust of rage
    Set me to pacing the cage

I never knew what you all wanted
    So I gave you everything
    All that I could pillage
    All the spells that I could sing
    It's as if the thing were written
    In the constitution of the age
    Sooner or later you'll wind up
    Pacing the cage

Sometimes the best map will not guide you
    You can't see what's round the bend
    Sometimes the road leads through dark places
    Sometimes the darkness is your friend
    Today these eyes scan bleached-out land
    For the coming of the outbound stage
    Pacing the cage
    Pacing the cage

~~~~~~~~

The opening four lines make me shiver sometimes, and his lyric, "
    I've proven who I am so many times / The magnetic strip's worn thin / And each time I was someone else / And every one was taken in" is so resonant for me, speaking of the slippery and ever-changing nature of identity.

arthur

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Report abuse
  •  10-08-2006, 7:22 PM 10562 in reply to 10534

Arthur, my man, you rated your own thread!  I'll rate it too, just to give it an "outside" boost, because I think a dialogue with Bruce Cockburn would be wonderful.  I've been a fan of his music and lyrics for about 15 years.  Interestingly, I was first introduced to his music by a member of Lee Lozowick's ashram, who was trying to get me to join it at the time, and who took me to a Cockburn concert when he came through Tempe.  Before the show, we both wandered around the back lot behind the stadium, looking for the trailer where Bruce was supposed to be staying.  We did not meet him, personally, but we did find the trailer and the guy I was with left some "literature" on the Lozowick's Hohm Community tucked in the door. 

So, this is not the first time I've seen him courted by a spiritual movement...

For good reason!

Best wishes,

B.

May the boundless knowledge that time presents and space allows illuminate the native perspectives of your original face.

• Report abuse
  •  10-08-2006, 9:00 PM 10568 in reply to 10562

No way, Bruce. I rated it!

Liz

Enlightenment is like getting old-it's not for sissies, but it beats the alternative.
    • Report abuse
  •  10-08-2006, 9:23 PM 10569 in reply to 10568

It has three ratings now -- yours, mine, and Arthur's.*

But it hella deserves it.

* If you don't know already, you can click on the rating next to a thread to find out who rated it.

May the boundless knowledge that time presents and space allows illuminate the native perspectives of your original face.

• Report abuse
  •  10-09-2006, 12:25 PM 10615 in reply to 10569

• Davidu is not online. Last active: 10-11-2006, 1:36 PM Davidu
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2006
    • Posts 21
    • Points 305

I'm so sorry, I was just exploring the rating button and now I see I somehow gave a rating... a poor one!!  Embarrassed [:$]

I will see if I can take it back... if not please forgive R thur...

D

PS   It worked I negated my negative resulting in a positive... Confused [8-)]

"Presence 'is', yet is open-like a drawing in the sky..." Tarthang Tulku
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help