Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Holosync or ILP?

Last post 11-06-2007, 7:59 PM by markevans. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-19-2007, 10:55 PM 30335

Holosync or ILP?

I'm trying to decide between Holosync and ILP. I can't afford both.

I like my current method of meditation but feel that Holosync would provide more structure and a support mechanism of sorts that would encourage me to be more disciplined.

As to ILP, there too, I have an exercise program of both energetic and gross body exercise that works well (so I feel). I'm curious about the 1-2.3 module but suspect that could be accessed - or its results, at least, in other ways. And in case, surely serious shadow work is not a DIY kit? And I have no wish for an AQUAL poster on my wall; I feel I understand the model sufficiently and my temperament lends itself much more to the terrain than the map.

I'm curious what others feel about my choice/s. I'd like to hear from those who are using/have used either Holosync or ILP.
    • Post Points: 50
    • Report abuse
  •  10-19-2007, 11:24 PM 30338 in reply to 30335

Re: Holosync or ILP?

I'm going to auto-reply here with a post in 'Getting Feedback on Holosync' which I accessed via the current thread on Integral Endorsing Holosync. (Sorry, haven't mastered providing links, though, I believe there's a guide to it somewhere on site)

Here's the post.

Ats said:

Just remember that it takes an hour to listen to the CD. That's a long time. I used it instead of a more traditional meditation for a few years, beacuse I didn't have the time or will to do more. I believe I could have progressed much farther if I had used the same hours doing traditional meditation. I do not believe it can be used to replace meditation. I haven't been progressing as well as the hype he promises. Nothing should bother me by now. I should be perfectly ok with myself by now.

It was only after I started seriously spending time meditating traditionally that I really felt I was spiritually progressing. The 123 practice in the ILP kit allowed for a fundamental shift for me. The ILP kit was much more profound a product by far.

I look at Centerpointe as more of a way to fall asleep every night with, so I don't stay up all night with insomnia. It does a great job at that, giving me a reliable one hour rythm to follow each night.
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  10-20-2007, 3:30 AM 30347 in reply to 30338

• questdoc is not online. Last active: 10-20-2007, 3:31 AM questdoc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-27-2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Holosync is supportive, especially when distractions are a real problem. It has a place in all this and will help some people I think. I didn't like the constant promotion of books etc. I can't say that it brought any of the benefits it promised. I was meditating for 18 years before I started Holosync; I definitely " lost ground" and was very disappointed with that. I am back on track now with ILP. I'm not sure that one can successfully engage in shadow work with the help of a kit, but it is the closest I have been so far. No previous meditation teaching even mentioned the importance of engaging the shadow . ILP kit does have a good level of objectivity and common sense.

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  10-20-2007, 9:55 AM 30366 in reply to 30335

You can get ILP -AND- purchase, at a fraction of the cost, a good alternative to HoloSync. From an earlier discussion on holosync (my post):

MomentsGap:
    I have not tried Holosync, however there is a highly effective brainwave entrainment software I use.
        The good thing about it is that it is extremely versatile, with many sessions targeting specific brainwaves for specific tasks (i.e. helping with insomnia, going into delta states, alpha-theta "creativity" session, helping with ADD etc.).
        The minus is that it takes a while [a few months I'd say] to sort out which sessions work for you and what effect they have on you.
    It is so  versatile they even have Holosync-graded sessions to emulate holosync at fraction of cost [please note I have absolutely no connections with the company; I am just a user of the software].

It's called Neuro-Programmer and here is a link with a demo.
    http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/

Here is a list to a thread from the user's forum, discussing Holosync's pro's and con's mainly from a UR perspective:

Transparent Corp. HoloSync Discussion Summary

Hope this helps.

love
    g

•  10-20-2007, 11:46 AM 30374 in reply to 30335

I purchased both. 

The ILP kit I bought about a little over a year ago.  It changed my life.  While I am still bringing practices on-line and there was a lot of inertia on my part at first etc., it was well worth it in my opinion.  Just the Big Mind DVD itself was well worth it to me.  I had a profound and self-changing shift just off of the Big Mind process alone.  3-2-1 is both a very simple and, for me, a very beneficial practice.  I have just recently started getting into the physical practices and I am pleased with how they are going so far. 

My only gripes would be that just from what I have since seen on IN, the kit could be greatly improved on the theory side in terms of a more graphic intensive presentation of the model and a better book for the ILP kit.  I would love to see a slick Jeff Salzman and Barrett Brown introduction to AQAL in ver. 2.0 of the kit as both are (IMO) exceptional at conveying their ideas.  As for the book part, I think they have tried to rectify it by including the new intro book that recently came out in with the kit (last I heard anyway).

As for the Holosync I have only fairly recently started it.  I have been keeping an updated journal of my experiences with the program here in Embodied Practice.  I won't fill up this thread with a needless repeat.  If you read that thread you can come to your own opinion about how to value my experience with it so far.

Personally, I would recommend option C which is save the money and fly or drive down to do the Big Mind process live with Genpo Roshi in Salt Lake.  If funds are a problem, they often offer a discounted rate.  After that rewatch/relisten to every single clip on IN and just start sitting and lifting... but that is just me.  You know you better than the rest of us.  Think about it and make the well reasoned decision that naturally and intuitively feels correct.

Best of luck!

Mark

• Report abuse
  •  10-20-2007, 8:03 PM 30390 in reply to 30374

I have the ILP kit and Holosync. I love them both. As for shadow work. I never had a meditation teacher recommend it either. Maybe because they were poor teachers and I moved on. I've been with II longer than anyone else and I am still enthuastic about them.

I've had lots of success with the 321 process. Things that have been bothering me for years are gone now.

I much rather have the kit and holosync than one weekend with an ISC teacher.
    • Report abuse
  •  10-22-2007, 4:17 AM 30457 in reply to 30390

Thanks to all for the replies. A little bit of disclosure here before I continue. I've actually been using Holosync on a semi-regular basis for the last couple of weeks by means of a 'borrowed' copy. I decided to try it out and see what I thought, and if I liked it sufficiently then go ahead and purchase. While I dislike Bill Harris's style, I can hardly complain if I then go and use the product without paying.  And I've had to come to terms with the dissonance between aspects of BH and the supposed benefits of Holosync.

I think I will go ahead and get both the ILP kit and Holosync but not immediately. At this point I'm going to go ahead and purchase Awakening Prologue as it is providing a boost to my practice, and then 6 months down the track get the ILP. I've downloaded the 1 minute trial module pack and I like what I've seen so far. And the comments are very strongly in its favor.

As to my use of Holosync, for now its shaping up that I'll do the full hour two or three times a week and the rest of the time only The Dive, followed by my own practice. I have to say at this point I prefer my own method of meditation practice to Holosync. It feels sharper, cleaner and deeper in effect.  Does that mean better? I don't know.

I'm gravitating to waking early in the morning and listening to the tracks while lying down and giving my attention to the plane of sensation where my back meets the ground.

In the meantime I'd certainly like to investigate the 3-2-1 process more. Can anyone direct me to where I can get some more information. I believe it's on Ken's Blog, or buried in the Integral Naked archives somewhere.

And Mark 2, I like your suggestion that I drive down and enjoy a session with an II trainer, however, one, I don't live in North America (or South for that matter) and two, I'm inclined to agree with Mark Evans that a combination of Holosync and ILP kit would be a better deal.

Actually, if I was in North America I would go and hang out with Adyashanti in satsang/Q&A. There's a beautifully congruent and utterly realized living master.
    • Report abuse
  •  10-22-2007, 4:03 PM 30485 in reply to 30457

Oh, and MomentsGap/g, I've checked out Neuro Programmer before. It looks good, however, I have an older Mac. (Not one of the latest PC friendly varieties) And NP is a PC ap.

I'll certainly look into it with my next computer purchase. I actually like the idea that it requires a bit of time to work out what's best. Sounds like in the long run its more customisable.

• Report abuse
  •  10-27-2007, 12:51 AM 30715 in reply to 30485

To anyone who wonders, it is possible to get a taster of ILP by downloading the  set of  '1  minute modules' on the page where the kit is sold. This set includes an exercise module in both audio and video, a great 'Dedication' and a run through the 3-2-1 process. That'll do me in the meantime.

I liked the 3-2-1 process and found it shared one of the key aspects of my metta bhavana practice.  This is bringing to mind, and seeing clearly, something in your life that is causing difficulty. What I especially liked about 321 is how that key dynamic has been taken and slowed down into steps so as to better explore/examine the emotional content. I will experiment with it.

• Report abuse
  •  10-27-2007, 2:55 PM 30775 in reply to 30335

Re: Holosync or ILP? not buying it

Brainwave Generator http://www.bwgen.com/

freeware

SBaGen http://uazu.net/sbagen/

Gnaural http://gnaural.sourceforge.net/

"Anyway, BWGen is great. I haven't tried the free alternatives, but then I haven't bothered to register this one either as the presets it comes with are more than enough for me.

""Headache treatment" is utterly brilliant. I can't remember the last time I used a painkiller at home. If I get a headache I just put my headphones on and start the app. Some of the other free presets are nice too, like the self-hypnosis ones."          (comment)

placebo or wot, givinit a shot :>

x23.zaadz.com
    • Report abuse
  •  10-28-2007, 3:30 AM 30804 in reply to 30775

Re: Holosync or ILP? not buying it

Thanks Vulgan. Those links look interesting. Same issue, though, Mac versus PC. Actually, thats not so much the issue as I can run Virtual PC and use the programs. Its a bit clunky, though. Right now I've got Holosync and still trying to work out just what I think of it. I'd like to play around with some of the more customisable apps in time.
    • Report abuse
  •  11-06-2007, 7:59 PM 31431 in reply to 30804

Bill Harris's latest blog entry says he went to ISC days one and two.   He says he'll be writing about it soon.
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help